Ford creating american jobs

Well, when it works it works. It’s kind of impossible to survive in trail without it. With dwindling margins no one can afford inventory.

Ford doesn’t have the knowhow to make semiconductors.

TSMC and Intel are making plants in Arizona though. It’s just going to take time to get them up and running.

2 Likes

I do not envision electric selling well in colder climates either.

I think they have a nice niche for say LA and FL commuters. Even NY and Boston would present a challenge from November through March.

IMO a target of 40-50% passenger EV makes much more sense and appears achievable.

They sell in the Northeast.

If there was an investment in building out a charging infrastructure in the major Northeastern Cities you would see an enormous switchover from ICE to electric.

3 Likes

I’m kind of disappointed in this thread.

TNT is right to tout manufacturing being created here in the USA. (And, I might add, in conjunction with a Pacific Rim corporation. This could just as easily have been established in S. Korea.) And for some reason people have to find reasons to knock it.

Is there a thread on this board (or anywhere on the internet) where this isn’t de rigueur? We could have a story about the most dramatic life saving operation, and someone will have to say why something is wrong.

It’s time that any and every type of manufacturing needs to be reestablished in the USA. The pandemic shortages have shown us that. Crank up the chip making. Crank up the ball bearing factories. Crank up the toilet paper makers. And the EV battery manufacturing.

11 Likes

Sure they sell. They won’t be an attractive option for cold weather driving. I don’t see a need for them to be. A diversified fleet of 50% ICE and 50% EV would be a more attractive goal to me. I don’t like all the eggs in one basket approaches.

Why wouldn’t they be good for cold weather driving?

The biggest impediment to having an electric car in an urban area is that vast majority of parking is on the street and there is no access to charging up your vehicle,

1 Like

Yeah, it’s just the way of things.

It’s only because I was the one who started the thread. People feel they have to find some deeper, devious truth I am hiding by posting something that is just objectively pretty cool. And that it involves electric cars which have oddly become synonymous with evil liberalism…

I guess you can’t get a good dopamine hit agreeing with people.

2 Likes

Yeah. Unless technical changes happen, I don’t see that solving the problem.
How muc

Ford could never make a mistake. (Edsel)

1 Like

lol.

True.

Another key item is how the cold temperature impacts the battery performance.

Anyone who ever used a battery tool outside in January knows how slow and short it runs.

2 Likes

Sure… the range is decreased but you can still go over a hundred miles on a charge which is more than an average daily commute.

Don’t pretend that you don’t do the same on the other side.

1 Like

Do batteries on wheels even need chips?

Great news!

I agree. Just wondering why they didn’t put it in Detroit.

While I agree with principle, gasoline fires are horrible and they happen far more frequently than electrical fires in regards to cars, a lithium battery fire is usually worse. Because it’s very difficult to put out without special chemicals and most fire departments don’t have the chemicals on hand yet.

There was a Tesla that was in a wreck a few months ago and caught on fire and it took them about 4 hours to put it out.

But it is unfair to judge EVs solely by the fire hazard, since petrol powered cars catch on fire more easily and more often. Especially if said car has a faulty fuel shut off sensor (every petroleum powered vehicle has a sensor that detects the yaw and pitch of the vehicle and if triggered shuts off the fuel pump if a wreck occurs).

I saw a Hyundai Sonata wreck in front our store the other day, a jerk in a Chrysler 300 pulled out in front of her. It was a bad collision that deployed all of the airbags. Under that scenario the fuel shut off should have engaged, killed the fuel pump, and starved the engine of fuel. But the car was still running when we went up to the car and the first responders came. Fortunately I noticed it and shut the car off with the key. But that shouldn’t have happened. The fuel pump should have shut off.

Most petrol car fires start outside of the fuel tank, usually in the engine bay where numerous electronics and wiring can be damaged in an impact. If the fuel isn’t shut off quickly, it can cause an out of control gas fire that makes its way through the car and to the fuel tank. That’s where the boom happens.

Only thing I can figure is that the fuel shut off switch was either bypassed (people do that when they have issues so the car will start) or was faulty.

Ford chasing Tesla, and there’s a lot of catching up to do.

The new Tesla plant in east Austin started production already and is hiring anyone who drives up to the site.

1 Like

We need a widespread system of fast-charging stations that don’t take longer (or much longer) than filling up at a gas station takes.

2 Likes

Yep… up along the Northeast corridor… the rest stops have Tesla charging stations that can get the car to 80% in 15- 20 minutes… which gives enough time to basically go in… use the bathroom and maybe get something from the convenience store.

2 Likes