Force 5 Hurricane Otis hits Acapulco, 100 dead

“100 dead or missing in Mexico from hurricane Otis”

How did we not hear about this? The first I heard of it was on my Facebook feed minutes ago. Are other world events so newsworthy that Hurricane tracking and warnings don’t get air time?

1 Like

It wasn’t a strike on a US coast. Here in Texas the coverage of it was mostly about the rain we expected the system to produce as it moved in a Northeastern direction across the state. Of course that was after it came ashore and was only a low pressure system instead of a powerful hurricane.

1 Like

Sorry that this is first that you are hearing about it.

A tropical storm becoming a Cat 5 Hurricane over the course of hours is sadly something that we are going to see more and more of in the warming climate.

This feels like deja vu. :thinking:

Rapidly forming storms in the Eastern Pacific during an ongoing El Nino in the hurrican season is nothing new.

1 Like

I didn’t say it was new. I said that we are going to see more and more of it.

Damn that’s tragic.

One finally hits landfall this year so it’s time to bust out with the Climatology Cult of Nonsense from people who are afraid of the outside warmth.

1 Like

This is not a global warming issue. The point here is that this storm received very little prior (or post) attention by the Media. I wonder how many of those American tourists who were impacted by the storm had just arrived not knowing that they would be directly in its path.

It didn’t receive that much attention because it went from being a tropical storm… which is kinda meh… to a Cat 5 hurricane in a matter of hours and caught literally everyone by surprise because the models didn’t prefect that something like that was going to happen.

Events like this… rapidly intensifying storms are going to become more and more common as the climate warms.

Not sure why any of that is controversial

That it happened is not controversial. The prediction that it will happen more frequently, is. Climate predictions over the last twenty years or more have been woefully inaccurate.

The climate is warming.

That will lead to more intense weather more frequently.

Not really controversial.

Actually, it is. Better monitoring technology, greater density of data, real time satellite observation and assessment … they all lead to revealing more weather events that, in previous times, would have gone virtually undetected (except by those people who might be experiencing them) and unreported.

I’m always watching independent weather channels, so I knew it happened. But even they were taken by surprise. It intensified over night. No one got a warning.

The water in and around the gulf was really warm. Considerably warmer than normal. I don’t know if that had anything to do with El Nino or not. If that becomes a yearly trend, then yes, we’ll see more of the same. If not, then we won’t.

Yeah, I’m getting that now. My reaction was what it was because there was nothing in the general media, and then suddenly I’m seeing reports of destruction after the fact.

It’s cyclic, just like everything else in Nature when you drown out all the idiots trying to make everyone else as fragile as them.

1 Like

I figured as much. The conditions were ripe. Unless we get these conditions on a regular basis, this kind of thing won’t be the norm.

I would say it’s perfectly normal, for the next few years, then we’ll have the La Nina doing the opposite. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Just like with the Sun Spot cycle.

This was the last hurricane of the year, and hence the last chance for the Climate Cult to rear their ugly heads. They’ll be back at the first sign of a Nor’easter. :wink:

The planet is warming… doesn’t matter if you think that the cause is man made or not… it is still happening.

So these things are going to happen more and more often.

More money is going to be spent because of it.