First Nation building their own energy sectors

When it comes to First Nation people the planet is very important part of their culture and one community in Manitoba have taken it to the next level by building a large scale solar farm to power their community and increase community income.

This is a great plan for remote communities that lack proper infrastructure.

My local Metis community has a number of large investment in green technology (Wind and Solar farm across Ontario)

Fisher River Cree Nation will soon be home to the biggest solar farm in Manitoba — a one megawatt facility that will be hooked up to the province’s power grid — and its backers are hoping that the project will pique the interest of other First Nations.

“The focus of this particular project is revenue generation for the community,” says David Crate, the chief of Fisher River.

“The long-term planning is to … try and have as much of our community powered up on solar, and possibly other green energy initiatives.”

Costa Rica is 100 percent off the grid. They use s mix of wind and geo thermal. It was pretty crazy driving through the rain forest winding paths and huge semis carrying giant wind turbines all over the place.

1 Like

More than likely won’t happen here in the US for the same reason most communities won’t ever get municipal broadband. Too many regulations in place which were put in place by representatives of the state government as a result of energy companies lobbying the government. In Oregon, you can actually be fined for collecting rain water on your own property and charged with stealing from the State government. Meanwhile the rates for "public’ water and sewer have nearly tripled in the past decade. I’m sure that’s just a coincidence though. It’s not like the private company who provides “public” water and sewer is in business to make money or anything…

I’m a big fan of “Earth homes” myself. Something we’ll also likely never see here, unless they’re privatized and someone can profit from them.

My buddy has built some up in Montana. Hebdidbsome sort of apprenticeship up there and has gone back a couple times to do more. They explained them to me but I cant see them being built on a large scale

1 Like

If the government was actually interested in solving problems they would provide the education necessary for communities to get together and build them themselves using the resources they already have available. But then those people would be effectively off the grid once their homes were finished and there’s no money in that. They also would be self sufficient and that is simply something the government can’t have.