Federal Judge Upholds Florida Law That Prohibits Sanctuary Jurisdictions

This is the correct decision. The Florida Legislature passed a statute prohibiting any county or municipality from becoming a sanctuary city and requiring all State and local law enforcement to cooperate fully with ICE.

Regardless of your stance on immigration, a State clearly has the constitutional prerogative to override the wishes of its local governments.

I don’t agree fully with EITHER side on all matters related to illegal immigration, but I do support this statute and glad that it was upheld, by United States District Judge Beth Bloom, who was appointed by Barack Obama.

The Governor or Attorney General may remove from office any elected official who violates the statute, so any recalcitrant officials can promptly be disposed of.

The only provision which Judge Bloom struck down was one requiring State law enforcement to transport individuals across State lines, which Bloom indicated was a purely federal task.

While I don’t agree with the right on all their views on immigration enforcement, I do happen to despise sanctuary jurisdictions, they should not exist and they no longer will exist in Florida.

1 Like

I’d like to see statutes modeled on this law passed and enforced in every state and at the federal level as well.

1 Like

Good for Florida!

Some of the local jurisdictions in South Florida regularly run afoul of the state’s preemption law as it pertains to firearns, and routinely get slapped down by Tallahassee.

Texas has a similar law. The argument being made seems to be that immigration laws can’t be enforced because they will lead to racial profiling.
Of course the decision can be made at the state level. Counties and cities are creatures of the state, unlike states which predated the US and retained their powers not granted to the Federal government.

A judge…who applied the law on the books…and not their interpretation of it? Wow…that’s refreshing.

Great news and a win for the State of Florida! :+1: