Federal judge orders census counting nationwide to continue through October

Link to Opinion of the Court granting a preliminary injunction in NATIONAL URBAN LEAGUE, et al., Plaintiffs, v. WILBUR L. ROSS, et al., Defendants. United States District Judge Lucy Koh of the Northern District of California is presiding over this case.

This order prevents the early shutdown of the Census that was to take place on September 30th and restores Census Bureau’s original planned date of October 31st. It also prevents the Census Bureau from using the early deadline of December 31st to make a report to the President and moves that deadline back to April 30th as the Census Bureau had requested back in May before it reversed itself.

This is about the easiest court decision to make. Letting the administration shut down the Census early when it was already crippled by Covid-19 was just ■■■■■■■ stupid.

Unfortunately, we are going to have a severe undercount even with extending the Census to its full statutory link. But no need to further exacerbate that undercount by shutting down the Census early.

1 Like

If you could distill it down, what was the at the root of the administrations argument?

Lemme see if I can find any of the administrations legal briefs for this case. I would actually be interested how they attempted to justify this. :smile:

I would also like to hear this.

BTW, this brings us to a side issue, tearing down the PACER pay wall.

Congress is trying to do this.

Then we could access all these documents easily and without having to search over hill and dale for them.

Interestingly, the Census Bureau originally requested Congressional relief to extend the deadlines. Then in August, surely under political pressure, they reversed themselves.

1 Like