Faith and Depression

What does any faith say about despondency? I’m a terrible practitioner of any & feel comfortable admitting to being a deist. There is a divine presence, a creator, and it isn’t yours truly.

Feel like an animal chasing its tail, running endlessly around in circles. Tried for counseling and got the run around due to COVID-19.

Hard as I’ve tried to hold on to avoid a divided household for my daughter, it isn’t going well. They’re on each other’s side & I’m that unneeded third wheel.

The kittens are my joy and they’re hiding right now. Really feel rather hopeless and defeated.

2 Likes

There is online counseling that you can try? All the podcasts I listen to reference:

https://www.betterhelp.com/get-started/?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=Search_PPC_m&utm_term=betterhelo_e&utm_content=25637168530&network=g&placement=&target=&matchtype=e&utm_campaign=177007450&ad_type=text&adposition=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlOmLBhCHARIsAGiJg7mPo5kwU3djOUQGeWBLmsTIqLdfBVgaes9-rmtr50xDL3WTTTUCc5IaAuEwEALw_wcB&not_found=1&gor=start-go

1 Like

You have a challenge to face. Stay positive and forward focused. Love never goes away. Sometimes it just gets misplaced in the details of daily living.

2 Likes

According to the faith of Jesus Christ, “[God] keeps in perfect peace the one whose mind is fixed on [Him].” Isaiah 26:3

It is possible to keep God in our thoughts. However, it is also possible not to do so.

Hebrews 11:6 “Anyone who comes to God must believe that He is and is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.” So you are at the right starting point, Janet.

These should help you.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.awmi.net/reading/teaching-articles/deal_grief/&ved=2ahUKEwjk7NTkq-3zAhWXzDgGHftFDkAQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1FR2ib1Q1x4cjS0PRb8iy5

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.awmi.net/reading/teaching-articles/the-true-nature-of-god/&ved=2ahUKEwja76uure3zAhVfwjgGHdTQC1QQFnoECC4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw1akso9oFxvvftsZg4laxHD

2 Likes

I know this is not in topic, but after about ten years in this forum, I need a way to say farewell. I’m hoping the mods will allow me this opportunity.

They have made it perfectly clear that they do not want me posting on this site. Their replies to me are full of sarcasm and contempt. I will oblige them. I have always said, that I will show respect to anyone who shows respect to me. Including the mods. That doesn’t seem to be good enough. In the time that I have been away from this site, I have not missed it. Not a bit. So who needs it? I’m moving on. Adios!

I’m sorry to hear that’s going on.

I wish you happiness on your journey.

Hey Janet, having been someone who suffers depression myself and been saved, I have found much of my depression is due to anxiety and worry. Your situation sounds a lot like mine in that I never feel good enough. I wonder if you don’t feel good enough because there are so many issues going on, that it feels like no matter what you do, how kind you are, people are going to snap at you and there will always be problems. Is this the case?

I know that you and your daughter’s relationship is struggling. I struggled with my own mother and we are fighting right now, but the truth is, good relationships rest in communication. Too many times I have found that fights start because someone decided not to communicate soon enough (I tend to be the “I’m fine” type in real life, or back to it, and I push it down and then everything comes out)- good communication is built with trust. I still love my mother though and she has good qualities about her that I admire.

People are under so much stress and anxiety due to the pandemic and politics. I try to understand and I know you try to understand, but there is no doubt that the tense air is weighing on your health. Empathy can only go so far until you feel like you are taken advantage of.

What helps me is knowing that God is still there. One of my favorite Bible verses is Matthew 6:25-30:

" Therefore I tell you, do not worry?>(B) about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. (C) Are you not much more valuable than they?D)" style=“font-size: 0.625em; line-height: normal; position: relative; vertical-align: text-top; top: auto;”>(D) 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your lifea]" style=“font-size: 0.625em; line-height: normal; position: relative; vertical-align: text-top; top: auto;”>[a]?E)" style=“font-size: 0.625em; line-height: normal; position: relative; vertical-align: text-top; top: auto;”>(E)

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendorF)" style=“font-size: 0.625em; line-height: normal; position: relative; vertical-align: text-top; top: auto;”>(F) was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biblegateway.com/passage/%3Fsearch=Matthew%2B6:25-30&version=NIV&interface=amp

Another one is John 14:15-16

You are so worthy. I know how you feel with the third wheel. Instead of cats, though, the kids at my ranch is who I live for. I love seeing these kids, especially with the pasts they have, just let go, if just for a moment, and be happy and just be kids. Seeing them interacting with the horses, swinging with their mentors, playing bean bag toss. This week we had a campfire and everyone made s’mores. It was just so nice.

1 Like

Also remember Psalm 31, with confidence. Stay strong. :heart:

1 Like

Thanks!

I love your posts. You are a true independent thinker.

1 Like

That’s the kindest I’ve heard in awhile.

Thank you.

You’ll be in my prayers.

Hey, maybe you should get out and volunteer if you have time?

If you want to give a self-help book a try: The Catholic Guide to Depression. Dr. Aaron Kheriaty with Fr. John Cihak.

2 Likes

I may have to get this myself. God is my salvation, and as long as He is here, I know I’ll be ok.