Energy Star comes out with thermostat advice that is moronic

^^ Completely agree with you on this.

Nest?

I agree this is stupid advice, but mainly because of the underlying that Safiel touches on: it all depends. For example, keeping it higher during the day while I’m at work (if my wife and kids weren’t home) and then cranking it at night down to like 66 would make total sense in an electricity plan that is either wholesale/index rate based or free nights. Obviously this depends on they type of market you’re in, regulated or deregulated, what time of plan you have, the climate, energy efficiency of your homes etc etc. it could be good advice…in some circumstances. Generally speaking, you can’t use it across the board.

Disclaimer: I work in the energy sector, specifically dealing with retail energy markets.

AI learning thermostat. I still have the first generation, but am looking to upgrade after I finish the upstairs reno I’m doing

1 Like

LOL too funny. Talking head on Tucker Carlson is saying the same thing I’ve said here. What’s is suggestions will become mandatory later down the road…specially with this green new deal that libs are pushing.

Elec companies already are trying to gain access and have gained access to customer thermostats. Saw that coming when the new “smart” thermos were being pushed. It will just be a matter of time before they are required and elec companies/govt will be able to access and control them. For your own good and the good of the planet mind you. But as with most of these little tyrannical laws/mandates there will of course be exceptions to the rules for certain people/groups.

:man_facepalming:

Everything is one step away from a conspiracy.

Crawl spaces and attics. They keep your pipes thawed and your roof cooled off. Two things most people don’t think their home should really have these days.

Wow, it’s like some people haven’t been paying attention the past few years. A large majority of “voluntary” programs soon become mandatory as has been noted in this thread. In light of the off the wall green deals etc. being touted by dems I can easily see this trend becoming mandatory.

https://www.roanoke.com/business/appalachian-power-offers-cash-in-exchange-for-access-to-customer/article_3081b088-7bd5-5c07-ad8e-4f80847ef164.html

In exchange, customers must grant AEP wireless access to thermostats during peak hours so the company can turn up the temperature any time the power grid gets overloaded.

1 Like

Clearly they didn’t. Haven’t you seen Gone With the Wind? First they got “the vapors” then they wound up melting like the wicked witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz. All easily verifiable. Just ask anyone from Louisiana.

Sure because electric companies aren’t going absolutely giddy about charging people a premium for every time they’re using their heat or A/C when they don’t really need to. It’s not like they’re in business to make money just like every other business or anything. They want to keep you from using your electricity, otherwise they might have to actually charge you for using it. Makes perfect sense. :roll_eyes:

Man some people have a really disturbing complex and think everything is an attack on them personally.

3 Likes

First, I will say this: just put on a new roof with upgraded tiles and the insulation it’s provided has reduced my electric and gas bills significantly.

But these recommendations, as the OP said, don’t address humidity. They don’t address any unique health concerns. Just one more blanket regulation to mollify the climate change squad. For the political and celebrity class who always seem to have recommendations for what we should drive, how and whether we should fly, how big a home we “need”, how much of our money we should be willing to surrender to the government, I have two words: you first.

You poor sods. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I set my thermostat at 65 all summer long. :wink:

There is no scenario that would have me set it into the 80s, winter or summer. It is somewhere between 66-72 at all times. Home or not, asleep or not, winter or summer.

Geez.

The apartment I’m moving out of had two window units and still struggled the cool a two room apartment. Like struggled. I eventually broke down and bout a big fan to help.

It just gets ridiculously hot down here. Like I can work outside for 10 minutes and I’m pouring sweat already.

5 window units, a box fan and a ceiling fan in every room. Electric is usually around 200 a month. House averages 65-75 degrees in the summer.

A propane fireplace on both ends of the house, and a small space heater in each bed room. Electric/gas combined come out to about 250 a month. House averages 75-85 degrees in the winter.

I keep mine at 73. The opinions of Energy Star do not concern me.

As I said … you poor sod. I set my thermostat at 65 in the summer to keep the furnace from coming on at all … the house usually sits at 68-72 most of the summer, unless it is 80-85 outside during the heat of the day for a prolonged period. Then it may get up to 75-78 inside. In winter I set it at 65 at night and 70 during the day. Some people consider this paradise. :wink: