Electric Cars are coming- no need to drill in Alaska

Wonder if it could be scaled to residential.

Just boil water.

How does boiling water store energy?

How long can you store liquid nitrogen? What amount of energy is needed to cool nitrogen below it’s boiling point?

Efficiency isn’t great, 40% or something but it’s appeal is cost and the sheer amount you can store, only limited by storage space.

How long do you think 10 liters of nitrogen can be stored–in the best of dewars.

That is very interesting, though I have to wonder how much power is being lost or gained by this.

Can be stored as long as you like, costs energy to do though. Doesn’t matter, the point is, the energy is there and available when you need it. At larger scale by far than batteries. Remember, you are storing excess energy, higher efficiency would of course be better but I haven’t seen anything that beats it at large enough scale to supply 200k houses for ten million dollars, not even close.

Never going to happen. EROI

It is not available when you need it. It evaporates. And where is all the excess energy? Boiling water is what nuclear power plants do.

No, it doesn’t, not under pressure in a tank. You don’t store it in a lake.

That’s super cool. Looking forward to see more of those.

Nuclear should always have been part of the solution.

Have you done the math yet?

By the way, you can also run cars on it.

https://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/dec97/car3.html

1 Like

How much is converting to all solar and wind going to cost?

A ■■■■■■■ lot.

Same answer on nuclear. But without doing any real research I’d still bet nuclear is far cheaper than wind and solar. Provided we are talking factory built small modular units. No more giant permitting headaches. The design gets approved and they can be slotted in anywhere without additional headaches.

I have no doubt that this will all be straightened out shortly.

A wood gasifier can power a gasoline generator without any modification to the motor. Straight through the carburetor. The sheer amount of things already readily available for personal energy needs is ridiculous.

The sooner there is no “grid”, the better.

And before someone brings up waste, that’s a solved problem now, there are reactors that burn the waste from our light water rigs, shortening the half-life from 30k years to 6-1200 years, a much more manageable storage problem.

2 Likes