Electoral reform - an Aussie perspective

What does that even mean? Who gets to decide the makeup of this supposed independent electoral body? :roll_eyes:

Define fairer? I see that as a code word for favorable to DEMs.

See, there you go… righties don’t even know what fair means anymore :rofl:

And of course lefties do. :rofl:

Fact are not facts…

Now you need basic words defined. It’s really sad.

I actually don’t. I’m more than a little familiar with the well worn concept of framing. That is really what we are talking about here.

No, Westaussie made an OP from a perspective outside the US to chat about reform ideas. Could be a productive thread, right?

The immediate reaction from righties is “OMG noooooooooooooo”.

It’s just funny…

I mean it is common knowledge y’all are endangered species going forward, and need to do anything you can to tweak the EC, but this thread just puts it into a comical light for me :laughing:

Please see link below:

Thanks Cynic. Possibly not all Australian electoral practices may be able to be applied easily to the USA but I personally think that it is worth discussing.

Just as a side note we have our federal election on the 18th May. The expected turnout is greater than 90%.

Your system also let Anning become a Senator with like 12 votes because the other guy resigned.

CJ I would have preferred if you had referred to him as the Senator who was egged. I didn’t say that our system is perfect but I will provide an explanation of how it happened. Our Senators are elected on a statewide basis and there are two ways of voting: above and below the line. The above the line method in the 2016 election required you to place a 1 against the party you would like to vote for. The alternative was to vote below the line and number all candidates where there could be in excess of 60 candidates. Most Australians chose to vote above the line so individual candidates generally received far fewer votes than their lower house candidates would receive.

When a Senator resigns or is found to be ineligible to be a Senator the practice is for the party that person represents nominates the replacement. The person who was egged was the party that tried to get in bed with the NRA was that nomination.

He also quit said party after he was elected and started hanging out with right-wing terrorist.
the dude should be disbarred.

We have many politicians who have been elected representing a particular party and then resigning from that party. You certainly can sustain an argument that the person should resign from parliament under those circumstances. However, there is nothing in the Australian Constitution that requires the person to resign under those circumstances.

Hopefully, the Queensland voters will kick the egged senator out Saturday week.

We do it here in FL all the time. Early voting can be done at any early voting place in a county. Wouldn’t take much to scale that up, however, in FL, it’s unnecessary. We have two weeks of early voting, and you can get an absentee ballot for any reason up until about 2 weeks before the election. If you don’t vote in an election in FL, it’s because you don’t want to.

Is it true you can be fined for not voting in Australia?

Yes unless you have an acceptable excuse.

I guess different parts of Florida are different, I have to go to my specific polling place the county assigns me to.

Not for early voting. You do for day of the election voting.

Also, you missed my point. That is, that if for early voting they can do things precinctless, why can’t they do the same thing for election day voting, other than cost (and having to have a printer).

1 Like