Education: Now Based on Race, Gender, Sex Orientations etc

Sigh.

I was there. It didn’t happen.

1 Like

:rofl:

No.

“Groups” :rofl:

Sorry, I don’t see why you think anything that excludes based on race is ok.

4 Likes

How about a wedding cake?

1 Like

Or when you see that Fox News headline, it’s really easy to just go to the Michigan University Commencement website and count at least 36 small, separate celebrations devoted to the various school communities outside of the one big commencement.

2 Likes

Who is “excluded” from anything?

Are white graduates invited to be a part of the African-American Student’s graduation celebration?

1 Like

From a legal standpoint, none.

From a moral standpoint, a metric crap ton.

One of my core beliefs is the destruction of the idea of race. That it even exists is disgusting to me. It has been used solely to oppress.

Behavior such as this is entirely counterproductive to that long term goal. And for the university to openly support it is disgusting.

But legally they are most certainly in the clear. More power to them. Even though I find it abhorrent.

3 Likes

Of course. Why wouldn’t they be?

By the very name of it makes them not welcome.

2 Likes

White Boy Graduation Celebration!

:rofl:

So this is about your feelings?

I’m about as white as someone can be, and I went to plenty of BLSA (Black Law Students Association) events when I was in law school. I was always warmly welcomed.

People were excluded from these voluntary graduation parties?

I understand what you’re saying - but believing in the “destruction of the idea of race” is equivalent to believing in world peace - it only means something when everyone agrees with you.

Race, as a social construct, exists. It always will. Wishing for it to disappear is fine, but meaningless.

1 Like

I wonder what would happen if a college had a Euro-American graduation celebration after the actual graduation ceremony.

Oof. You are edging into separate but equal territory here.

Same-ish.

Obviously, water fountain segregation is worse because it’s imposed by the state.

But really , pretty gross to divide people based on what they look like in any space, is it not ?

Would you be as chill about it if a local restaurant imposed white-only restrooms ? “Don’t like it, don’t use it; problem solved” ?

1 Like

But were not talking about anything being mandated by the University. These are voluntary graduation parties for different groups at the university. There is only one graduation for everyone that is run by the university. People are free to attend the other ceremonies as they please.