Don't call us Mormons

You wanted a short list that’s what I gave you.

It was in NO meant to a defense in any way.

And you never answered my question: Are you Mormon?

I don’t understand your comment.

What exactly don’t you understand?

How it applies to the conversation

Are you referring to this post of mine:

Sorry. My grandmother and mother were of the same era. That was not their experience at all. Back at the time of the first invention of the printing press, the Catholic Church did not approve all translations of the Bible because they were not up to standard. Protestants accused the Catholic Church of not wanting anyone to read the Bible. Completely false. The Catholic Church did not want people reading poor translations of the Bible. People should stop giving Catholics a bad rap on this. Catholics read/study the Bible. As a whole, we are probably better versed in it than any other denomination–especially those who do not spend much time on the Old Testament.

My experience was completely different. And most catholics I knew had a similar experience.

Then I would venture to guess you didn’t know many Catholics. Of course, most of the ones I knew were friends of my mother and grandmother, so there is that.

The Irish and Italians are a small circle? I doubt I was in the small circle.

But as the saying goes: Your mileage may vary.

No Italians in that particular circle, but definitely Irish and French. I still stand by what I say. Catholics who go to church were all better versed in the Bible (particularly the Old Testament) than other denominations. And, it appears a very significant number studied outside of Mass as well.

Were they French Huguenots by chance?

That I don’t know.

They are now called The Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square.

I was watching a catholic priest on their catholic tv channel one day when the priest went off on some person that called in telling her that she was supposed to let the priests read the bible and tell them what it means rather than study herself.

1 Like

That’s classic catholic church. It’s always operated as a top down operation, that only it was the official middleman to god.

The same that anyone else needs. Peter gave us the formula in Acts 2 - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.