Don't call us Mormons

Took a break from all the Trump talk and came across this. LDS President Russel M. Nelson has declared that Mormons should no longer be referred to as “Mormons” or even “LDS,” but “Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.”

I admit my primary curiosity about this is whether it will no longer be referred to as “The Book of Mormon” or the “Mormon Tabernacle Choir.” We’ll see if Nelson can make the change stick.

Not the first time they’ve tried this. Having lived in mormon land my whole life I’ve seen this push a few times before. Never lasts and everyone just falls back to mormons. Sorta hard to get rid of the word when your special bible is called The Book of Mormon.

The term “Mormon” was an used in a derogatory manner back in the days of extreme persecution. The church members embraced the term in its effort to minimize attacks.

And who are they kidding. We know this is all about trying to connect themselves with larger Christianity. The only connection Mormonism has with Christianity is they stick the word Jesus in in their mythology.

I like how this was the result of another ‘‘divine revelation’’ to the head of the church. Usually this is reserved for more ‘‘important’’ political issues, such as: (1)when they needed to get rid of polygamy in order to become a state, (2)Allowing blacks full church rights-the believed black was the ‘‘mark of Cain’’.
There may be another that I can’t recall.

You can never underestimate the value of a good ‘‘divine revelation’’ :wink:

Does this mean that they are going to rename the Mormon Tabernacle Choir??

My question as well.

Wait. Are you saying that Mormons aren’t real Christians?

Hold on…a divine revelation is coming in…

They could rename the Mormon Tabernacle Choir the Choir of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But that name would be kind of long.

Simply call it the Tabernacle Choir. Everyone knows who they are. The design could be like this:

THE TABERNACLE CHOIR

The Church of Jesus Christ
and the Latter Day Saints

But what will they call their extra bible? The Book of the Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints. Kinda of a long title to fit on a book cover isn’t it?

Once a mormon church, always a mormon church. Better to own the name than try to disavow it because disavowing just encourages everyone else to use it more.

I have no trouble with Mormon. I also have no trouble if they choose to call it Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints. (Everyone can see that it is a book, unless it is online–and then it doesn’t matter. Everyone knows the Latter Day Saints (LDS) is a church.) Simply remove the redundancies.

I don’t know why “Mormon” bothers some in the Church. But if it bothers many of them, it is their church, their choir, and their book. How many of us outsiders are going to say, “Well! If they are going to change the name, then I will never join them!”?

Nelson said in his announcement they are Keeping the name of the Book of Mormon.

Hmm, ok. Might make it more difficult to drop the moniker, however.

Mormon was a man in the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon was named prior to LDS being called Mormons.

It’s a good thing we have those such as yourself to determine who is and is not a true follower of Christ.

I’m sure Christ appreciates you saving him the time he would have to waste judging. Now he can go bowling or something.

It’s not an extra bible …but you know that already.

There is so much mythology in the book of Mormon, that to even call it mythology is kind.

I’m aware, and it’s an interesting bit of history, but it doesn’t change my point - non LDS will continue to have “Mormon” reinforced in their minds.

Not that that should matter much to believers, of course.

Yeah? Like the Bible and Jesus beings the first recorded resurrection …