Does congress have the right to Trump's tax records?

No one is using the IRS as a weapon. You might accuse them of using Congressional oversight powers as a weapon but that ship has long sailed.

If he is lying about being audited in order to continue to hide them…

Oversight seems obvious. And that is just one of many reasons.

1 Like

No. Please go back and read my opening thread. Your question was answered quite clearly. If you still don’t understand, I will clarify.

You’re wrong.

That’s possible. It was only a prediction. Time will tell. Every one told me that I was wrong on the Mueller report too. How did that work out? :smirk:

No one knows how the Mueller report worked out because no one has READ IT yet.

4 Likes

Yeah. How can you “predict” that the law is not the law?

Have you read it yet?

And you’ve been shown how its legal and how its been done before, but predict away.

So far it looks like Barr is conducting a cover-up, and he can resolve that by releasing the full, unredacted report to relevant House committees.

Okay fine. As The reverend Jackson once said. “KEEP HOPE ALIVE!”
Have fun with that.

According to whom? CNN, MSNBC and some anonymous source who happens to be a Trump hater? Seriously, y’all need to let this go. It ain’t happening.

Time will tell. But I like my odds.

Of course it’s going to happen.

What’s not happening? Fat Donald and the right-wing fever dreams of a special counsel to “investigate the investigators”.

People that think that’s going to happen need to be strongly bitch-slapped back to reality.

Same is true of the ridiculously absurd “Q” conspiracy. To believe that takes some real lack of critical thinking.

The law says so.

ETA: I feel bad now. Like one of those people in “Airplane” waiting in line to slap that lady. In my defense, I read and responded to the first post before I knew how many times it had already been answered.

https://taxprof.typepad.com/files/154tn1013-yin.pdf

Here is a little more help:

The legislation approved in 1924 gave the tax committees the unqualified right to request the tax returns of any taxpayer from the secretary of the Treasury and directed the secretary to comply with that request. The unqualified right was necessary to correct the separation-of-powers imbalance; be-cause the right of access of the president and the executive branch to the information was unrestricted, so too should be the legislature’s. Aside from slight changes in the language, the law remains the same today. The right of Congress to obtain any tax information should be interpreted as subject to the implicit condition found by the Supreme Court that any congressional inquiry must relate to a legitimate legislative purpose. The law,then and now, permits the tax committees to designate agents, such as their staff, to inspect any of the returns.

I’m glad we agree and I’m also glad you finally get the answer you requested regarding fat donald’s tax records.

And there you go.

The tax committees have an “unqualified right” to the tax return of any individual, including Individual-1.

Case closed.

/thread

1 Like

I haven’t listened today, but I bet the CEC is already mounting a privacy campaign. Some lawyers on TV are already saying that this could get wrapped-up in the courts for years. I just can’t see why that would be. It seems like a pretty clean cut law.

So here’s some amazing critical thinking for you. We just finished a witch hunt. Now we are moving into the fishing expedition phase. Why a fishing expedition? Because there is no allegation or evidence of any tax crimes committed by the president. If there were, the IRS would certainly find it. So based on that. Should every democrat who is demanding the President’s tax returns be willing to release their own tax returns? You know, walk the talk?

How’s that for critical thinking? You like?

I haven’t heard what tact they are adopting on the tax returns, but on the Mueller report they are all-in on executive privilege.

I can’t listen to much of the Sean Hannity show any longer, as it is just the same thing on endless repeat - “Real collusion happened with the Clinton campaign!!! Adam Schiff talked to Russians!!! FISA! Flynn!!! Aaaaahhhhh!!! (repeat over and over)”

However, I caught one minute today and he was claiming that Fat Donald could use executive privilege.

Not going to save Fat Donald having his tax returns released to the relevant parties in the legislature. Also not going to keep the Mueller report hidden.

Much nail-biting in MAGAt-land.