Does anyone here genuinely respect/admire politicians?

You actually proved my point.

1. yes. I stated not everyone. But at some point that person had to spend a bunch of money, give up all personal time, and try to win a job that paid less then spent and prob less then they were or could be making.
    Do you know many plumber’s that spend a years with of salery to helpfully win the job? And if not, do it again?
    If it’s so easy, and rich, why don’t you do it?
  2. yup, people could spend 6 years doing nothing and staying at home. But they don’t. Why is that?
    Some stay too long cause of power and money, sure. Many stay because they think they can still help.

This ^^

I consider that naive.

Exactly. And those who don’t do their own research just go by what they hear and see the most.

And that’s the media. Sound bites and headlines.

I want McConnell out, but not for the reasons the Lincoln Project does. (Man, talk about an opposite-meaning name, too!)

He should have been primaried in 2014.

1 Like

Yep thats right the media controls it all :neutral_face:

OK, this ^^ reflects why I don’t admire politicians.

It’s my opinion that almost anyone who runs for office – especially at such high levels of federal government – have a certain contempt for their own self respect. I just don’t see the value in having your life scrutinized at the molecular level. (And even worse, dragging your family into that meat grinder.) All for what? Some great dream of humanitarian service? (Spit.) They don’t do it for the American people. Not at this point in history. It’s for their power and prestige. And they all come out wealthy afterward.

It’s almost guaranteed that people with that goal are going to have more than their share of scum in their closets. And without good self-respect they expect that they can overcome getting smeared with their own feces.

And you can bet that a stockpile of scum in a politician’s closet is not something new. It’s just that now everything is far more traceable and dredge-able and reportable than ever before.

Expect that for the rest of our lives we will be faced with choosing between dumpster-A or dumpster-B.

Is already the case.

Well that’s not what I said.

The media control the narrative in the public square, and (as you pointed out) there are far too many people who can’t be bothered to understand the issues on their own. They resort to relying on the sound bites and headlines. The media control that.

And therefore the media control THEM. And they outnumber the political junkies. The media lead them by the nostrils.

This little side chat came from the suggestion of limiting political contributions. In the absence of all the airtime those dollars buy, the void will be filled by the media.

This is not to say that political campaigns generate meaningful messages. Most of those ads are likewise just sound bites and headlines. It’s just that the content isn’t produced and controlled by the media. MEdia are what would fill the void if campaigning were limited.

Two terms and you’re done. But we’d also have to get rid of those lifetime salaries/pensions at taxpayer expense.

Do you know why they started?

I know why they started for Judges. It is a little more nebulous for the political branches.

I believe it was because of Truman?

$174,000 per year is a very good salary and puts an individual in the top 5% of wage earners. From my understanding there’s also a number of perks that go along with the job as well. Bottom line is their not living in poverty.

Regarding your statement do you have any stats on that?

To be more specific the essence of this thread is having more respect/admiration of politicians than you would for other Americans.

And will be more the case if you disallow contributions.

Never said they were living in poverty, but they only get paid when they win. The avg congressional campaign. In 2013 it cost 1.6m on avg to win a seat. I’m sure it’s much higher today.
Google it.

Well you never said that and why would it be a either /or? That’s just dumb.
I respect some of them more then some Americans. Respect some Americans more then them.

Could be. Continuing to do what we are doing isn’t working.