Do You Really Want Me to Rule the Country?

…for crimes committed in other countries.

Are you grasping it yet?

That’s exactly what I’m saying.

They can/could if Canadian law allows for it.

Criminals can be extradited if they commit a crime (in another country) that is illegal in the home country if the law allows for same.

The US does it fairly frequently particularly in terrorism cases.

Ok, cool.

Yes, that means the individual is still under jurisdiction of their home or the third country or the extradition would not be allowed.

No such laws exist.

…for terrorism cases in which the terrorism was committed in the country they are being extradited to.

So your suggesting the U.S doesn’t have jurisdiction over me if I enter the United States because I’m not an American citizen.

:rofl:

Extradition is a function of treaties between nations.

They do not confer “jurisdiction”.

And we grant them the jurisdiction to do so through treaties and agreements.

No you don’t.

Canadian law enforcement can’t enforce Canadian law in America.
they can only ask the U.S government to enforce them on their behalf.

you’re in law school, right? what could you possibly know about this issue?:grinning:

If we don’t grant them that jurisdiction they can’t extradite anyone.

We or Interpol arrests them and delivers them to the requesting nation.

No, we don’t.

Extradition treaties grant countries the right to petition the federal government to arrest and return a wanted criminal to the country in which they are wanted.

They do not grant any form of jurisdiction.

If they are not under the jurisdiction of Canada we won’t allow the extradition.

The US has agreements with many countries that allow the FBI to arrest criminals on foreign soil and bring them back to the US for trial for crimes committed in those countries.

“They” cannot extradite anyone. They can only ask us to do it for them.

“We” extradite people back to other countries.

Poor job of quibbling.

If the home country didn’t have jurisdiction over them we would not “grant” the extradition.

Link? I’ve never heard of any such treaties.

The FBI partners with local law enforcement around the world, but they can’t make any arrests, nor can they take anyone back to the US without applying for, and receiving extradition from that government.

let say NY passes a law banning assault rifles, can they go down to Texas and enforce it on NY citizen who have flee’d there

It’s not a quibble.

You don’t appear to be grasping what “jurisdiction” means, what “extradition” means, or both.

1 Like

They arrested and sent back many from Iraq and Afghanistan.