Do You Really Want Me to Rule the Country?

I know. Reading those records is quite something.

Is an illegal alien able to be charged with a crime by the state or federal goernment?

How can you claim to know the intent of the authors of the 14th amendment regarding something that didn’t exist at the time?

Not the same definition of “and under the jurisdiction thereof” that has been applied since.

They specifically excluded individuals were under the jurisdiction of other countries.

http://www.federalistblog.us/2007/09/revisiting_subject_to_the_jurisdiction/

The only people within the borders of this country that are also under the jurisdiction of another country are diplomats and consuls.

1 Like

Wrong, they are also subject to the laws of their home countries.

I stop being subject to Canadian laws the second I walk into another country

No, they are not.

If a German citizen goes to California and smokes pot, the German police cannot arrest them for it when they get home.

1 Like

It would be quite scary if they could.

No you don’t, Canadians can reach right into the US and have you extradited anytime they want if it is justified.

If the offense was serious enough they could certainly be extradited.

Extradition is a function of treaties between nations. It does not confer “jurisdiction”.

Canada can’t “reach over” the border to do anything - if they want someone arrested, they have to petition the United States to arrest them, and send them back over the border - after which, the criminals will once again be under Canadian jurisdiction.

I can’t be charged in Canada for a crime I commit in America.

2 Likes

The United States cannot extradite anyone for a crime committed on US soil.

Which Countries Have Extradition Treaties With Thailand?

Currently, the following countries have extradition treaties with Thailand: the US, the UK, Canada, China, Belgium, Philippines, Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, South Korea, Bangladesh, Fiji, and Australia.

https://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/extradition-from-thailand.php

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-justice/news/2018/12/extradition-in-canada.html

I’m not sure what point you think you’re making here…

Do you understand what extradition treaties are?

Wait. Is someone actually arguing that your home country can “extradite” you for committing a crime in another country? How does that work?

3 Likes

You don’t seem to understand what extradition is.

If I murder someone in America and flee back to Canada, a Canadian court can’t charge me with the crime because they have no jurisdiction.

The U.S AG can petition the Canadian government to have me arrested and shipped across the border to be charged in a American court for the crime.

2 Likes

Not quite.

I believe that Wildrose is trying to argue that if a foreigner committed a crime within the US, they could be extradited back to their home country to face the charges there.

An equally silly argument, but slightly different.

War criminals have been extradited from the US.