Disneyland and Disney world

I have recently went to Walt Disney world and Disneyland. Fox news is currently talking about face recognition, I was wondering if anybody else is uncomfortable with the fact that Disneyland has a picture of my face upon entry and Walt Disney world has my fingerprints in order to enter the park does anybody else feel like this is a little too much information for one company to have?

This should be in Outside the Beltway, IMHO.

I’m not worried about it. (I plan to visit but not for a couple of years.)

Whatever keeps loony toons out of the park…

Personally I’d be far more worried about our lack of enforcement of anti trust laws and Disney now owning nearly double the media content of any of their competitors. How have we gotten ourselves into this economy full of megacorporations who can buy up most of their competition than provide a service at a loss until they drive the rest of their competition out of business? In case you haven’t heard Disney+ is coming soon to “compete” with other streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. That’s why anything associated with Disney (Pixar, 20th Century Fox, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilms, etc.) are starting to get their licenses pulled from Disney’s competitors. Because once Disney is the only game left in town, they won’t of course immediately jack up their prices. It’s like we’re pretending this stuff hasn’t gone down exactly like this before or we’re somehow pretending the results will be completely different this time around. Madness.

1 Like

Disneyland has had that in place for a couple of years now, from what I remember. They take your pic on the way into the park. I don’t have a problem with that. I don’t remember them taking my fingerprints, though. (We were there in April.)

From May 2018

ORLANDO, Fla. (KYW Newsradio) — Each year, Disney World gets millions of visitors, and the theme park has collected fingerprints from many of them. But what do they do with this abundance of data?

As part of a new admissions system, Disney theme parks collect fingerprint data from visitors who have tickets — more than 55,000 prints a day.

Through the Ticket Tag system, it links your fingerprint to an admission bracelet that gets you into the park. Disney said each fingerprint is transformed into a unique numerical value — and that they don’t store the data.

“For Disney to say they are not storing the actual fingerprints, they are,” countered Former FBI agent J.J. Klaver. “They are storing the digital representation of that fingerprint.”

Klaver said all prints are reduced to a series of digital numbers, which “is how fingerprints are categorized and catalogued and then searched.”

A spokesman for Disney said they hold onto the information for as long as the ticket is valid, but Klaver said it’s concerning they are collecting personal data at all.

“Law enforcement could go to Disney with a subpoena or court order to obtain any information that they have, and that could include fingerprint information,” he added.

A spokesman for Disney said the newer system was put in place to combat fraud, but if visitors don’t want to use a print, they can use a photo ID instead.

“That is just one more piece of personal data that a private company is asking us to give up,” Klaver continued.