Covid question for an expert... thoughts?

Then link to the discussion here.

I don’t remember having them,

I think that that is a fair analysis of public policy messaging… but it did not say that masks were useless.

I like this paragraph

I think that that is a balanced way to look at things and not the binary one that people want to have

As I have repeatedly stated… it is all about risk reduction.

1 Like

your memory is not my problem and does not impart on to me any duty to play fetch.

I got the booster on Saturday.

made me feel crappy for a couple of days. my left armpit still kind of hurts.

Better than getting sick with Covid

maybe.

Yes, a balanced way of looking at it is that in practice, it may or may not have some effect, but overall the whole argument is likely more damaging to ending this pandemic than not.
It is certainly not proven efficacious enough to allow a mandate.
Florida showed that what was thought to be the effectiveness of masks in some instances was just being on the down side of a wave.
My opinion…there is more authoritarianism in the mask crusade than cure.

2 Likes

I generally hate getting infected by viruses and do what I can to not have that happen.

That I will agree…per my choice. I got my booster a couple of weeks ago with the same effect.

1 Like

That is only if you see public health measures as authoritarian.

The majority of the mask studies show that like vaccinations the more people who do it shows greater effect of reduction of disease and spread. The more of the community that does it shows a greater benefit for the individual.

The whole response has been sold wrong to the public… I won’t deny that… it saddens me that something that could have brought the nation together just tore it apart even more and a lot of people who did not have to die, died completely avoidable deaths.

for those vaccinated, is the risk associated with delta (which is on par with vaccine side effects for the vaccinated) better than the risk of getting covid? i’m not so sure.

yes, it may prevent you from getting delta while the antibodies last (about 6 months). will it protect you from the next variant? we don’t know this; however, since the vaccine is proving less and less effective against new variants, there is need for concern. actually getting delta, which has little risk for the vaccinated, gives broader protection and would be more likely to protect against future variants. every individual must decide which level of risk they’re willing to take. for me… no booster

That is my stance as well.

What is useless is arguing over it.

I’d love to see that 11% benefit study!!! It’s got to be silly!

Yes, the masks provide a nice warm and moist environment for things to grow, obviously!

1 Like

That study involved surgical masks. That is not recommended by the CDC, not what people are wearing, and there are not enough available.

2 Likes

it was a village study i believe out of norway. the conclusion

cloth masks are exactly 0% effective at limiting spread

surgical masks, universally worn and when worn properly, with constant freindly monitoring and reminding, reduce covid spread 11%. so, instead of say 20% of the population getting it at any one time, 17.8% will

3 Likes

Same no booster, with the protection from two jabs and the new therapeutics I am not getting on the never ending booster train.

You got the typical lib canard that marks the beginning of the attempt to extricate oneself from a losing argument.

Expect the requisite “So-you-got-nothing” follow-up.

1 Like

Yup, on the highlighted part for this guy.

I had the JnJ original jab in March. (Fever and side effects that night. No energy for a few days afterward.) I got the booster two Thursdays ago. (Moderna.) Injection-site soreness. Two days of lethargy. Good to go for the workweek on Monday.

I know of several families who have lost loved ones – in each case, individuals who refused vaccines. And the familial fallout is painful to watch. They’re experiencing the pain of the loss, to be sure, but there are also family fractures forming, as people take sides over blame, anger, “I-told-you-so”, and other conflicts over the issue.

I consider the vaccine risks to be dwarfed by the risks of not being vaccinated. On top of that I wouldn’t want my potential death to put my ideologically-divided family through the subsequent divisiveness it would cause.

1 Like

Wow… because whenever I am asked to bring forth supporting documentation I have no problem doing so.

Excellent post, Guvnah. It addresses an issue I hadn’t considered. Thank you.

Sure there are. Go to a grocery store parking lot or better yet go down to the grounds of a middle school. There’s masks everywhere!