Could state or local officials face federal charges if they interfere with federal agents?

The Federal Government can enforce Federal Laws. There is nothing against being for states rights in that.
And that means protecting Federal Property and Federal Officials performing their duty.

I suggest that conservatives know what their beliefs are and don’t need any made up ideological help by liberals.

Quebec doesn’t post sign in English, they ignore the language act.
like I said have you ever been to Quebec.

If mayors start arresting EPA officials for enforcing federal laws, I will be with Biden in having them arrested.

The Democrats have returned to the extreme positions of segregationist Democrats from the 1960s.

Back to their roots!

The DA never said he would arrest federal officers for enforcing federal law.
he said he would arrest federal officers for breaking the law.

are law enforcement immune to the law in America?

And so he should. If they join in the BLM rioting and looting, they should be arrested. He had better be sure there is a law being broken, though, if he tries that.
Likely he wont be going after the armed officer himself, though. That would actually be dangerous.

The last time I was in Quebec was in the 1980s. I could still make out the white-washed English on the bilingual road signs. Post offices still had signs in both languages.

Are you saying Quebec would arrest postal workers who follow federal law?

let say the federal officers are using excessive force.
should local law enforcement sit on their hand not and protect the citizens

Yes. What happens if agents break local law by enforcing federal law?

Your asking question that are not relevant to what the local government are suggesting.
your trying to frame in a political manner.

Again, they had better be darned sure there is excessive force being used, otherwise they are interfering with an officer performing his duty, assisting and abetting a criminal, and assaulting a federal officer. There is not much room for being wrong if they take that approach.

1 Like

I would hope the Quebec Provincial Police would stop the RCMP from using excessive force on Canadian Citizens.

Agreed, its a last resort but local law enforcement have a duty to protect their citizens in my opinion.

Yes, if a cop saw a federal officer doing what the Minneapolis cop did to Floyd, he should act. But be careful there.
P.S. Oh, and visa versa if a federal official (or anyone else) saw a local cop doing that.
Very risky, though.

I’m glad we could agree.

When I went out into the countryside outside of Montreal the non English speakers were a dime a dozen and were pretty harsh up until the point they figured out i was from the US.

1 Like

Quebec hates Ontario with a burning passion.

So you are prepared to prosecute federal law enforcement officials if they do in Philadelphia what they are doing in Portland?

If we have clear probable cause for the commission of crimes, by anyone, including law enforcement, including federal law enforcement, we will prosecute that. We’re not going to tolerate any kidnappings and assaults going on in Philadelphia streets. We’re not going to tolerate showing up under the guise of making things safer and [instead] causing violence

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-22/philly-d-a-threatens-to-arrest-federal-agents?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Logically arresting someone for a federal crime could be construed as a kidnapping under state law. I see no exception in his statement.

While I think this is just partisan posturing, things could get very crazy if the local DA continues with threats. Note that federal law makes it a crime to “oppose, intimidate, or interfere” with federal agents on account of official duties. Any attempt to arrest federal agents could subject the DA to federal arrest from what I can see.

I think you and a whole bunch of others in this thread are extremely confused about what concurrent jurisdiction means and how it operates.

Cool, please explain when local authorities can arrest and prosecute federal agents who are in their state to enforce federal law.

1 Like