Coronavirus ain't all bad - March Madness cancelled

I didn’t hear that.

But if true, I do have my seasonal allergies going on right now, so I have a runny enough nose…

I didn’t either. I just asked if they said that.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

People can be linear thinkers to an extreme.

If I need to go from Penn Station to 5th Ave, I take the E train toward Jamaica Center. Just getting on that train toward Jamaica Center does not mean I am going the whole way there. (Two carts of toilet paper = Jamaica Center)

But you and I also need to be aware of our own availability bias. We see/remember the outliers behaving in a silly manner but forget that most people are (I think) doing just a bit of extra shopping, washing hands good, and avoiding very crowded places!

Yesterday, my wife comes home from Costco and was like “It’s crazy! People pushing 2 carts at a time filled with cleaning products, people yelling at staff.”

I asked how many were doing each thing, and it turns out the place was packed and that there was one person doing each panicked thing - the other 498 people there were just going about their business, but the outliers had a more lasting impression on her experience.

No rotisserie chickens though… :frowning:

Ya some in the media are creating mass hysteria with far and few positive reports in between. The fact that both China and S.K. are beating the virus is an extremely positive story and it needs to be pumped out hard. It does no one good if the whole economy crashes because of this. We had 12,000+ deaths from H1N1 in 2009 in the U.S. China lost under 3200 so far and the numbers infected are dropping fast from the Coronavirus.

There needs to be more stories showing how both China and S.K. are defeating this virus instead of stories like this daily.

Right now at a given moment half the country is preparing as if a Walking Dead scenario is upon us. Props to NPR for their latest coverage of how its dropping in China and S.K.

fff

There is definitely some of that going on, and some are doing it for ad click revenue. At the same time they are making a bad situation a whole lot worse, while running negative stories constant while neglecting the positives. Like I said in my first post if the United States happens to get this under control or a vaccine comes down the pipeline the news agencies creating havoc should be condemned harshly.

When it starts driving people out of work, businesses closings, and hiring freezes its a huge deal and they better be 100% it’s warranted.

1 Like

I work in retail and my position was recently switched so I can fill-in for a manager who is on leave. I’ve been asked so many times where the ■■■■■■■ hand sanitizer is that I no longer turn to look at customers when I answer that we don’t have any left.

A saying I like is: You don’t notice the absence of pain.

The problem is both China and South Korea are using methods that either a) culturally we would find very difficult to implement or b) would embarrass our own government officials.

China used draconian methods…outright imprisoning millions of people in their homes. We could never do that here.

South Korea made excellent use of testing data, digital tracking and analytics to enforce social distancing only where it was needed (in “hot zones”).

We have far too many people over here who would cry foul over the privacy intrusions that would be needed to make that work. And our own government agencies would be embarrassed that a little nation that exists only because of our blanket of protection could test 20,000 people a day with drive through tests that read out in hours…while we have struggled to test 20,000 people overall.

I don’t regularly watch basketball :basketball:, but kind of like it.

Tired of all this ■■■■■■■■ over a newfound virus when more Americans die from the flu.

When it’s time to be called home, we’re all called home.

This is just starting.

You can say more Americans die from the flu when we reach the end of whatever this is.

You’re comparing something that has been going on for years with something that’s just gotten started. Way too early to be doing that.

School is going to be out for one week, possibly two—for cleaning and disinfecting, over an exposure most in the U S and overseas are surviving

Has bleach and water sterilization not been going on until now?! Kids were germ vectors before Coronavirus for Pete’s sake.

Now one boy, whose on chemo—and I really do hope he recovers—is being kept home, which I understand. But parents of healthy kids keeping them at home?!

The 180 day requirement for a school year has been suspended in Massachusetts. The kids are happy to have at least one extra, if not two extra weeks off, but then in my district there’s no virtual to keep up with learned tasks. I really do hope these students catch up so they’re not behind next year.

So all this panic generating—and like another poster I do hope, in the event of financial ruin, those in the hysteria generating press are held fully accountable—over a virus most are surviving.

If it’s whats needed to calm people down they should do the South Korean method, rack up on tests and quarantines. The idiots have already cleared out every grocery store within a 30 mile area from me of Water, toilet paper, paper towels, canned foods, coffee, and items I would have never thought would be needed in a zombie apocalypse - bread. I guess they are freezing it? There was even a man sitting outside his truck at the Kroger’s parking lot asking people as they where leaving if they needed toilet paper scalping it out from his truck at three times the price.

We need calm implemented across the board democrats and republicans working together to tell the media to calm down the end of the world rhetoric. I would rather go the SK route and get it over with in a month or two than this horrible slow bleed they are attempting in the west.

I’m a toll collector and I’m hoping they send us home for a few months. You know, just to be safe. :slight_smile:

They’ll have more time to study for their finals!