Cooking BBQ - Recipes

Let’s talk about BBQ. Share recipes. Meat as well as sauce and side dishes.

Best pork ribs you ever ate:
I use loin back pork ribs. Baby backs are too small and true baby backs are hard to find and expensive. Spareribs are too big and greasy.

1. Never use a rub. I’ve tried dozens of them and they all make the meat taste like hot dog meat. Use only salt and pepper.
  2. Remove the membrane from the back or not. It’s a lot of work and I don’t think it matters. Leaving it on helps hold the ribs together. They’ll be falling off the bone.
  3. Start a hot charcoal fire on the grill. Put wood chips on the fire. Season the ribs with salt and pepper.
  4. Put the ribs on the grill and cook turning until they are the right color for cooked ribs. They won’t be done- for now just get them looking like they are done.
  5. Wrap each slab tightly in heavy foil. Splash a little beer or apple juice on them before you seal the foil.
  6. Put the foiled ribs on the grill and close the lid. Cook for 1 hour- no more.
  7. Open the foil, brush ribs with sauce (below) and reseal.
  8. Wait for 30 minutes and serve.

Sauce:
1 c. ketchup
1 c. water
1/4 c. vinegar
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Dash Tabasco sauce
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. celery seed

Mix all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil or near boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

I like to take the cheap county style ribs (pork). You boil them for one hour in spiced broth. Bay leaves, garlic power, sage, savory, salt pepper, teriyaki sauce is what I use. This renders out the fat and is a lot faster than smoking. Then get some blackberry jelly and add some water to make a bbq sauce out of it. Baste the ribs, and put them on the grill away from the coals, put the lid on, vents 1/2 open and cook for another hour.

Cheap Springfield blackberry jelly is my favorite. Don’t mess it up with anything else… Just water and jelly is a great sauce… Don’t boil for more than an hour or they will fall apart.

1 Like

Thanks, Cratic.
I’ll try that. Sounds good.

Keri’s Hog-Apple Baked Beans! This is my go-to side dish and it is always a hit.

That sounds really good, Jimmy. I’m going to try it.

Here’s my bean recipe

Barbequed Beans

4 cans (16 oz each) pork and beans
3/4 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. sausage (patty)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 cup molasses or honey
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
8 to 10 slices crisp bacon
1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp salt
couple dashes Louisiana hot sauce
1 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp Angostura bitters
1 tsp dried mint
1 tsp liquid smoke

Cook meats until well done. Make it into a fine texture with a fork while cooking.

Crush crisp bacon over the other meats just cooked.

Open bean cans and drain off what juice you can.

Mix the meats and all other ingredients with the beans. Bake in a pyrex bowl or other oven bowl at 350 d for 45 minutes. Serve hot.

It gets better each time it is reheated.

I recently got a kamado joe and have really been smoking and grilling like crazy lately.

I haven’t seen pork loin ribs. Just baby back and St Luis style locally. I’ll have to look for them. I wasn’t a fan of how the St Louis were cut and didn’t particularly enjoy them. I’ve been using a Saltlick rub on the ribs that’s been great.

I’ll have to try your bbq sauce recipe. Looks good and I bet would be nice to baste with the Saltlick rub to finish the smoke.

Loinbacks are sometimes sold as babybacks. They come from the same section of the hog. Real babybacks are much smaller than real loinbacks. If you see a babyback that is larger than most you see, it’s probably a loinback.

Good to know!! Then maybe what I had labeled as a “baby back” was a loin back. It was similar sized to other pork ribs and didn’t look small by comparison.

Whatever it was it was damned delicious! Much more tender and fatty than the St Louis cuts I’ve gotten.

I love chicken, especially dark meat chicken. But I love all chicken. That’s what I cook more than anything else.

I’m not a chicken fan, but I’ve had BBQ chicken I really liked.
Do you have a recipe you want to share?

Here’s something I think everyone will really like.

It’s a sausage marinade- any kind of sausage-hot dogs, brats, polish sausage, Italian sausage etc.
Marinate the sausages in it and grill them as usual.

1/2 C each cider vinegar and Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 C fresh lemon juice
1/3 C hickory liquid smoke (Use Wright’s if you can get it)
1 TBS each garlic juice and onion juice
3 C water

Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool.

To marinate hotdogs and sausage- Poke fork holes all over the hotdogs or sausages. Cover with the marinade, in an air tight container (Tupperware).
Keep 2 hours to overnight in refrigerator. You can do a quick 30 min marinade in warm marinade. The longer marinades are better.