Convention of the States (specifically the far right proposals)

The link above contains an imbedded PDF of the full text of the proposals.

There are proposals for a “Convention of the States” by a number of political entities, with various aims, both from the left, right and center.

A mock convention of the far right adopted proposals on August 4th, 2023.

Before we look at the proposals themselves, I have a question. Yes, it is possible the far right could elect enough delegates to a Constitutional Convention to gain operation control of such convention. But at the end of the day, they need the ratifications of 38 States to actually get such proposals in the Constitution. How the hell do the plan on doing that?

California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Illinois and Vermont are essentially out of reach for ratifying such amendments. Twelve States. Which means they would have to get the ratification of every other State, which is a practical impossibility.

Now the very first proposal relating to Congressional term limits could possibly be ratified.

The second relating to the size of the Supreme Court, not so much.

The fiscal restraint proposal is unlikely to be ratified.

The commerce clause proposal is unlikely to be ratified.

The State “veto” proposal is essentially a rehash of a proposal from the Southern Manifesto, again, not likely to pass.

They did compromise on the Federal lands proposal by exempting anything that was a National Park prior to July 1st, 1976, but still not going to be ratified.

Whether you agree or disagree with these things, and I partially agree with some and partially or fully disagree with others, there is no chance of ratification by 38 States, with the exception of the Congressional term limits proposal.

I do think the Constitution needs some revision and updating, but only consensus proposals have a realistic chance of getting the ratifications of 38 States.

Which is why such a large number of States is required, so that far left or far right proposals cannot be shoved through with a bare majority of States.

Proposals like these make for a nice Manifesto, but have little chance of ratification.

Of course, it is quite possible that if a convention is summoned, delegates of the left might have an operational majority, leading to equally ridiculous far left proposals.

Ideally, neither the far left or far right would have an outright majority in such a convention, forcing consensus proposals.

1 Like

The tricorn hatters twiddling their piccolos and banging their drums are why they did it. Fever Dreams and performative fantasies. Sad.

1 Like

not the old constitutional convention crapola.

its just a bad as secession of a state from the union.

will never happen.

Allan

Personally I’d like to see…

FEDERAL BAN IN INCUMBANCY:
#1 No elected official in the Congress or the President is eligible for election in any other Federal elected position until at least 1 year has passed from the end of their current or 1 year after leaving their current federally elected position through retirement, resignation, or expulsion.

#2 No elected official may campaign or raise campaign funds while holding any federally elected office.
END GOVERNMENT SLOWDOWNS:
Shouldn’t we dispense with this nansy-pansy type of “partial” shutdown bull crap.

If Congress is going to shutdown the government than they should be required to actually shut it down. None of this “essential” work force bull shyte.

Shut it down and make it painful so that Congress will really hear from constituents.

Government workers (all of them) are sent home with no back pay for time missed. This includes EVERYONE.

• Air Traffic Controllers get to stay on the job until aircraft have landed, no new flights are allowed to take off or enter American air space from other countries if they took off after the shutdown time.
  • FBI, Border Patrol, NSA, CIA, etc. - Go home. We’ll call you to come back.
  • Government processing of financials stops.
  • No Social Security checks issued.
  • No Medicare checks issued.
  • No VA checks issued.
  • No pay for the military.
  • Payment to State and School districts for everything stops.
  • Federal Courts shut down.
  • Federal Prisons - hand out a bunch of MRE’s to the inmates, lock’em in their cells, and send the guards home.
  • etc.

Congressional staff is sent home. The only ones allowed to work in the empty Capital Building are the actual members of Congress because under the Constitution their compensation cannot be reduced during their term of office so they are the only ones getting paid.

If a shutdown was a real shut down Congress would think twice before ignoring their responsibilities and pulling political stunts.

WW

This is why I have no concerns about what might come out of a con-states. The most outrageous ideas could be pushed. I really don’t care. It still has to get past a whole pile of states.

This made me laugh out loud for real.

1 Like