Connecticut assault victim gets 18 months in jail for stabbing attacker

The son of a friend of mine was attacked by two men, one with a knife. He took the knife away from the man and stabbed him. He was convicted of armed assault because, the court ruled, once he took the knife away, he was no longer justified to be in fear for his life, in spite of the fact that the two men continued to attack him until he stabbed the man.

I wish I had been on that jury …

That isn’t what Sneaky claimed … he said his training would make him pursue, not rage. And it still doesn’t validate his challenge to Sotto’s opinion as to how he would respond. Quite honestly, I think most people would submit to fear (or maybe reason) and not pursue, rather than to follow in rage to continue the fight after it was initially over … unless like Sneaky, they were trained to do so.

:rofl: ok, how would you know?

I don’t know anything about any carry guard.

I didn’t. Try reading it again.

Bad law. Horrible law.

Did he? Where?

How would I know what? That you don’t have to literally experience a situation to know how you’d react? Life. Life is full of novel situations. Reactions are a product of intellegence, experience and instinct. I have no doubt that in the situation the individual in the article found themselves in, I would not pursue the attackers after they left the building.

How do you know how you would react.

Critical thinking skills. Life experience.

Ok, if you say so.

Seems to me he was making the point that it’s instinctual. You don’t win without letting the beast out. That’s why experienced street fighters who’ve never set foot in a gym will totally dismantle black belts, boxers, Marines, whatever; they’re coming to wreck your ■■■■■ not spar, and they’re terrifying.

I also agree with him that if you’ve never been jumped by a bunch of dudes you don’t know how you’re gonna react.

Sure you did, read it again.

“I know what I’m trained to do. I know that under stress I default to the last level of training mastered or that I had success with last. I know when all else fails, extreme aggression can rule the day.”

Not a darned thing there about reacting to rage.

You are much better equipped to predict how you yourself will react in such a situation than some Internet stranger is.

……George Zimmerman…

Probably not.

Had he stabbed the attacker in the act of taking the weapon from him, its all the same instance.

Once the guys retreated and he followed them, he actually became the aggressor, for better or worse.

Yes it is.

I wrote it.

That’s the exact nonsense I am talking about.

Just ruling.