Confirm Kavanugh TODAY

I fear it’s going to get worse. It won’t be long until the nuclear option is used for legislation and then I wouldn’t be surprised if the number of SCOTUS justices is increased to pack the court. All hell breaks loose at that point.

Cap’s a parody, but one that does a decent job of parroting the sincere sentiments of actual Trumpists.

Also, in 2018, can we get beyond the tap dancing, indirect questioning, and “polite” inferences.

Here’s Trump (re: overturning Roe):

if we put another two or perhaps three justice on, that’s really what’s going to be — that will happen. And that’ll happen automatically, in my opinion, because I am putting pro-life justices on the court.

At this point, just ask the guy directly about it.

What do you want to bet he’ll give a nonanswer?

Rush often comments that the media is in lock-step, each one using the same phrasing as every other report.

That is probably because they’re reading from the same news release put out by AP or whoever.

But you guys here do it, too. You all see Rush or Sean refer to the Democrats as “unhinged,” so of course all of you now use that word, too.

As for the confirmation hearings, how did the Republicans behave toward Obama’s nominees? Is it hypocritical of you to complain if Trump’s nominees are put through the same process?

I think “unhinged” is a descriptive term that fits pretty much everyone in this country. There’s so much rage on both sides that both sides are in danger of going postal.

Instead of exacerbating it, people just need to calm down and look at what’s going on without the partisam blinkers over their eyes.

You mean the guy that hires “only the best people”?

He’ll just invoke the Ginsburg rule and they’ll back down in their typical spineless manner.

To be fair, there is model code of judicial conduct that applies here. But some nominees have opined before the Senate about Brown, Lochner, and other cases that are sort of “canonical.”

Even Ginsburg discussed abortion and abortion law extensively during her confirmation hearing.

I agree, especially if it has to do with specific cases within the judicial pipeline. But something like “do you think a right to privacy is protected by substantive due process via the 14th amendment” or even more specific questions regarding past decisions and stare decisis should be fair game.

In his younger days, McConnell believed that regarding nominees. That it’s not the senate’s job to play politics with the pick, and that if it were, the constitution would have given the senate the power to pick justices.

1 Like

McConnell has shown that is no longer how the Senate approaches nominees. Good luck getting that genie back in the bottle.

1 Like

If George W approves of him so do I. Could be another good pic like chief justice Roberts

Nope, sorry, too close to an election. We need to wait until after 2020.

2 Likes

Does he know it’s satire?

Pretty sure he’s in on his own joke.

WAAAAAAY back in the day, he didn’t use this schtick.

I know it can be confusing. He never breaks character nowadays.

Won’t it be fun to see a 21 justice SCOTUS?

It’s coming. Political norms are gone. It’s all downhill from here.

It is 75 days from today, until Sunday, September 23, 2018.

That is the day before the Supreme Court’s “Long Conference” on Monday, September 24, 2018.

I would like to see a nominee confirmed by that Sunday, so that he could receive his commission and take his two oaths that day and thus be able to sit with the court for the Long Conference.

You’ve got a better handle on humor, so I’m deferring. I remember the old MrCap, as well as the sudden switch in attitude. Some thought he’d had his ID hijacked. Your angle makes more sense.

It’s like some dark op where he has been undercover so long that he can’t even remember his Mom’s birthday. And she’s furious.

Oh, that’s why i don’t stay in character all the time. I’m afraid of going down that rabbit hole.

1 Like