Confederate Flag = "Marry your sister?"

What a ridiculous thing to say. A racist is still a racist.

If I call out another poster as a racist I guarantee that post would get flagged and result in a time out or a ban from the mods. Ergo the term racist has not lost any meaning.

3 Likes

Plenty of bad things that can be said, in a historical context, about that flag, in a classroom setting. That was not anything in that category. Dumb move. I think the penalty was appropiate.

2 Likes

“But white people call other white people white trash all the time down here.”

“Can’t speak on Hispanics or other racial minorities. Haven’t had enough time with them to pick up on it.”

There’s any and every ethnic and racial group in Massachusetts. And, as a native born white woman whose lived in Arizona & Florida, I find those most likely to have an attitude like the teacher in this thread to be white peoples from states like New York and Massachusetts.

Noses up in the air, oh, they’re so backwards in those parts. So racist. If you look at U S history, they need only look in a mirror to find backwards and racist.

Ironic about all of this is those we’re supposedly so racist against—black, Latino, Asian, in short other than or mixed race white—have very little to say about those of us from generally southeastern states. I’m working with quite a few black peoples who either want to relocate to states like North Carolina & Texas, or who already have. The few I know who’ve moved from south to north have been white.

Um, let’s see. Whose backwards and racist and totally not inclusive again?

2 Likes

Passed a trailer in the sticks with the Stars and bars flying in the front yard the other day. It was complicated.

1 Like

I wonder if that teacher is originally from Georgia, with put downs of the Confederate flag amounting to marriage of a blood relation.

https://www.reference.com/government-politics/can-first-cousins-legally-marry-ae41e9bca28be4c9

Funny, many of these states were never a part of the Confederacy. Teacher made a stupid remark, and the penalty is totally appropriate, IMO.

Only to those trying to shed it’s stigma

2 Likes

Well you guys seem like you’d be fun at a party.

Someone did a dumb thing and had a consequence. What is this thread for? More hand wringing fake reverse racism whining?

1 Like

Your anecdotes are not data.

So find some data.

Do tell me if states like New Hampshire and Vermont are so great for minorities why their populations include so few?

1 Like

What are you even arguing about at this point?

Every time I see a Confederate flag flying in Maine I think to myself “Heritage not Hate” and have a little chuckle to myself.

1 Like

Yeah that is my immediate thought as one can pluck any point on the heritage timeline why THAT one?

3 Likes

Yup. Have yourself a mint julep or something and join in the fun, cause that’s what it’s about, amirite?

Good point!