Commanding Officer of the USS Theodore Roosevelt relieved of command for failure to understand the basic concept of chain of command

I heard a report on the radio that a letter to his superiors somehow made it to the press, suggesting he did go up the chain of command. Maybe he leaked it maybe not, it’s all just speculation.

The fact he was dismissed makes it appear that someone thinks he is responsible for the leak. Either that or there is some funny business going on at very high levels. Either one is possible in my opinion.

That’s not true.

2 Likes

One will get you a courts martial. The other gets you good press.

I saw an entire unit get written up for turning their backs to an entire chain of command that was relieved in disgrace, all the way down to one O3.

So the entire chain of command up through Sec Nav is lying?

“Stick to what you know.”

Yes, it’s possible. What’s more likely is he did go up the chain at least one link and felt the response was inadequate.

How far up the chain did the Tillman lie go?

Felt it an inadequate response, something along the lines of “YOU’RE in command, act the part and make that ■■■■ work until we can implement a solution”.

2 Likes

The burden of command can get very heavy.

1 Like

His firs line supervisor was in the cabin next door. No contact.

He was on a video conference with theater command and never informed them.

There was good reason for the Tillman cover up, wrong as it was. There would have been an equal reason to cover this one up and try to just retire him quietly.

Absolutely true.

Apparently, having a gmail account with a mass mailing list and a will to let everyone and their brother know the boat you command is effectively a large paper weight, has a way of alleviating some of that burden.

1 Like

It created this one.

he had already sent his concerns up the chain of command

Personally, I think he is a hero. I think he knew he would be relieved. I think he also knew that if he went up the chain of command the Navy’s gut response would be to cover it up.

I’m going with the theory he sacrificed his career for his crew.

Up the chain, down the chain and out to anyone and everyone in the world with an interest in hearing a US carrier is effectively out of commission.

Yeah, herioc…because he knew the best possible position he could be in to look out for the best interest of his crew was to be OUT of command.

Proof?

He got the word out. A serious breakout of the virus would put ship out of commission AND kill members of his crew.

My opinion, and yes I am a Navy vet.

1 Like

Bullcrap.

There were solid reasons behind it. The decision was still wrong.

Come on may, this is bull ■■■■■

What proof do you have of these statements?

"His firs line supervisor was in the cabin next door. No contact.

He was on a video conference with theater command and never informed them."

3 Likes