CNN:Millennial women are facing the first decline in well-being since the Silent Generation

Women’s wages are not keeping up with inflation.
I’ll say it again
The difference is very small, (less than 1%) still, women’s wages are not keeping up with inflation.

CNN ran a story on Wednesday
“Millennial women are facing the first decline in well-being since the Silent Generation.”

Something called the Population Reference Bureau (PRB) a study/advocacy group has produced has apparently been publishing it “Population Reference Bulletin” for 77 years. It uses an index of economic well-being, health, crime safety etc. and has determined that for the first time since the silent generation (born between 1928 and 1945) a generation of American women are worse-off than their predecessors.

Link:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/11/health/millennial-women-health-and-safety-wellness/index.html
I am sure given how much crime we get to witness on social media, their point regarding women-as-crime victims is probably accurate. I am guessing, but it seems right.

Interestingly, it was not necessary for the PRB to include things such as health and crime-safety to reach it’s conclusion.
On economic factors alone, working age women are worse-off this quarter than last quarter, and worse-off than they were pre-pandemic.

I will add to that:
The percentage of women working two jobs (including two full-time jobs) is within a statistical wiggle of the all-time high (set last quarter).

Stocks ain’t the only thing going up in this economy.

I have to imagine women are not doing that because they are making soo much money (afterall their wages are not keeping-up with inflation.)

1 Like

Would love to see some additional demographics with those stats.

1 Like

Well, it looks like women are more likely to be a victim of violent crime (now vs before.)

I will look for more econ data later

2 Likes

I suppose there’s more women in the lower wage jobs now than before?

1 Like

And a higher percentage of them living in single income (their income) homes.

1 Like

I’m going to venture that the perps were overwhelmingly male in all cases.

2 Likes

Wow.
I spent some time last night over at the FRED website, generating random charts w/ demographic information. The results have been not-at-all what I expected.

CAVEAT:
In the past I have traditionally used income data, especially average income data. For reasons I don’t understand, to get info broken into demo graphic categories I need to switch my data set and use "weekly earnings-from-work** data and it is available sorted by median not average.

I am not sure that makes a lot of difference, but since some of the results are surprising, I thought I’d mention that caveat before posting the results here.

Stay tuned.

Historically men have always made more than women. That gap has narrowed recently, but I present the following chart for context.

I am interested primarily in

1. pre-covid vs post-covid.
  2. current (2023) trends

According to the CDC website, the shut-downs began March 15, 2020 (Trumps last year in office) so I use Jan 1 2020 as a reference point. Some “zoomed-in” results are below:

What I am seeing is

1. Men and women are both worse-off than pre-COVID
  2. The post-covid wage drop experienced by men is bigger than that experienced by women
  3. In fact, women have almost broken-even financially and were even until their wages dropped a small amount this most recent quarter.

(The data I used previously shows everyone is better off than pre-covid. This new data surprises me in a number of ways.)

1 Like

A lot of them majored in dumb ■■■■ and are boss babes who don’t need no man.

Well being for women seems to have peaked right around the reversal of Roe. Granted, correlation is not causation.

This data shows that the economy, as measured by take home pay, has not actually recovered, even though people are going back to work.

1 Like

I can’t tell you how many of my former female students mentioned how they were going to major in Psychology!

1 Like

Easy degree, no math required, probably get to write essays about “You” or real-life serial killers. What’s not to like? :joy:

1 Like