CNN: Conns, A 134-year-old home goods retailer filed for bankruptcy and is closing more than 70 stores

From the article:

Conn’s HomePlus, a 134-year-old furniture and electronics retailer with locations primarily in the southern United States, has filed for bankruptcy and is closing nearly half of its 170 stores.

The Texas-based company, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Tuesday, has been struggling with slumping sales amid a broader slowdown in discretionary spending among consumers. Conn’s has assets and liabilities worth at least $1 billion each, according to the filing. . . .

Major furniture retailers continue to struggle after a pandemic boom, particularly as Americans struggle with persistent inflation. Discretionary big-ticket items, such as furniture, have quickly dropped off the shopping list for more budget-conscious consumers.

That has resulted in furniture chains Z Gallerie and Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams filing for bankruptcy within the past year and Wayfair drastically reducing its workforce.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/24/investing/conns-bankruptcy-store-closures/index.html

1 Like

Blame it on the housing market I guess.

When it comes to

• Furniture and Home Furnishings Stores
    and
  • Electronics and Appliance Stores

There is no arguing about the economy, the seventh level of hell is right here, right now.

In inflation-adjusted terms, sales at both places are down 20% since June 2021

As I have said many times I do not blame Joe Biden (much)
but it is completely wrong to pretend there is no problem and try to spin it as a “booming economy.”

1 Like

Economy is great!!!

1 Like

3 Likes

Ya know considering that no one can afford to buy a shack right now much less a house, I’m not surprised home goods store are doing bad. You can’t really decorate your car inside those places.

1 Like

IMG_0847

2 Likes