Clarence Thomas Has Reportedly Been Accepting Gifts From Republican Megadonor Harlan Crow For Decades—And Never Disclosed It

News reports out that Justice Thomas has been accepting gifts for over 20 years without reporting it. From the Forbes article:

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has been accepting trips from Republican megadonor Harlan Crow for more than 20 years without disclosing them as required, ProPublica reports—including trips on private jets and yachts that could run afoul of the law—the latest in a series of ethical scandals the conservative justice has faced amid calls for justices to follow an ethics code.

Thomas has repeatedly used Crow’s private jet for travel and vacationed with him including on his superyacht and at Crow’s private resort in the Adirondacks, where guests stay for free, ProPublica reports, citing flight records, internal documents and interviews with Crow’s employees.

The justice has stayed at Crow’s resort “every summer for more than two decades,” according to ProPublica, and reportedly makes “regular use” of Crow’s private jet, including as recently as last year and for as short as a three-hour trip from Washington, D.C., to Connecticut in 2016.

While Supreme Court justices are not bound to the same code of ethics as lower federal court judges are, they do submit financial disclosures and are subject to laws that require disclosing gifts that are more than $415 in value, including any transportation that substitutes for commercial transport.

Experts cited by ProPublica believe Thomas may have violated federal disclosure laws by not disclosing his yacht and jet travel, and that the stays at Crow’s resort may also have required disclosure because the resort is owned by Crow’s company rather than him personally.

2 Likes

I’m not gonna disparage the guy for enjoying life and taking advantage of opportunities like this, but if he was supposed to disclose, he should have done that.

3 Likes

The left is going after the uppity black guy again.

:rofl:

6 Likes

Meh- I seriously doubt anything will happen to him. But hoowee…not a good look.

4 Likes

Of course the most conservative, least qualified SCOTUS member is on the take, just like his wife.

6 Likes

Have to admit, I am a little surprised by this.

1 Like

Definitely seems ballsy and easy to catch. Really surprised it took 20 years for this to come up.

i wondered when the diseased left would go after Thomas.

3 Likes

I agree…it’s not a good look and should have been disclosed…period. That said, after reading the article that’s actually done by ProPublica…it doesn’t appear that anything unethical took place. That doesn’t negate the “appearance” of unethical behavior and a SCOTUS Justice MUST BE PURE in order to maintain the integrity of the highest court in the land. He should rethink this and disclose it IMHO.

3 Likes

He should have set up some phony “venture capitalist” company and make millions of dollars through foriegn governments like China and Russia.

4 Likes

You can’t get by with that sort of thing unless you are a dem then you get a wink and a nod from woke libs.

Just look at the Bidens!

They aren’t even trying to hide it very hard.

gobble up every narrative without even chewing

these nonsensical racist attacks are product of the leftist’s forge.

1 Like

Lock him up!

1 Like

3 chicks racist

1 Like

He lied, and is still the least qualified member of SCOTUS since the ABA started rating them.

He’s doing a good job at what he was picked for, being a Republican apparatchik far outside the mainstream of jurisprudence.

3 Likes

“It (ProPublica) said the justice also has vacationed at Crow’s ranch in East Texas and has joined Crow at the Bohemian Grove, an exclusive all-male retreat in California.”

I’d like to hear more about that.

Just a bunch of dudes hanging with other dudes.

Sounds creepy.

1 Like

Well said.

1 Like

You and Alex Jones now have something in common.