ChicagoBusiness.com: "Cook County to enroll 45,000 into CountyCare for noncitizens who don't qualify for Medicaid because of noncitizen status

The article is paywalled, but I don’t think Ms. Pekala, an author and prominent attorney has reason to misstate its contents.

Anyway it begins

"As Illinois begins transitioning people in its two health programs for immigrants to Medicaid managed care plans, Cook County Health plans to enroll nearly all the 45,000-some participants into CountyCare, beginning Jan. 1. . . . "

A quick Google search reveals that $1.1billion for non-immigrant healthcare is a LOT because

• The City of Chicago’s entire budget is $16.6 billion
  • Cook County’s entire budget is $9.26 billion

Put differently:
There are 5.27 million residents of Cook County.
The $1.1 billion the county is paying for non-citizen healthcare works out to $208 per resident ($832 per family of 4.)

I think they should put it to a referendum.
Do Cook County residents really want to pay $832 per family of 4 so poor noncitizens can get free healthcare?

I want to say, “Oh well… They voted for this, so they are getting what they voted for…”

But this insanity is oozing throughout the culture, so I know it’s headed my way.

1 Like

This is exactly what the Dems want for the country, more poverty and more problems.

1 Like

They don’t allow their voters to have a say in this type of cost. Just look at Chicago government not allowing the citizens to vote on sanctuary city status. But it should be an opening for the next elections for mayor and city council.

I have to wonder where the extra money is going to come from.

They should tax shoplifters.

They’ll ask the federal government to supplement…

In other words you and me.

1 Like

I have no doubt that is true.
I also predict we will soon read articles “It is cheaper to giver the poor free healthcare than to wait and treat them in ERs.”

2 Likes

It would be cheaper to keep those here illegally out of the country

3 Likes

But we can’t do that because it would be racist ya know.