Cherokee Nation to appoint delegate to US House of Representatives

Get them away from the most valuable thing that they have, their land ?!?

That don’t sound like a good idea.
Getting native people off their land is what got the US into this mess in the first place.

What good is it doing them? You think they’re farmers?

Did you read @Safiel post. Integrate them into your society.

I think that its not my place to tell them how much they want their land or what they should want it for.

We also have seen what happens when “integration” has been adopted from above.

Change the land from a reservation to privately owned land that can be sold.

• Who owns the land? The tribe.
  • Who makes land decisions for the tribe? The traditional elder structure, an imposed board of trustees or a new board elected by the members? (Who is a member of a tribe? The answer comes from court cases related to prior integration attempts.)
  • Who decides between these different groups which is the one in charge, with authority to sell? The BIA.

And oddly enough, the group that the BIA chose was always the group that wants to sell the land to Peabody Coal, or some other company.

“Integrate” has a historically meant “Take land (that was promised forever) away from people who want to keep it and give it to white run companies.”

(How about making sure that their kids go to schools where they can learn how to integrate into white society? Good idea?)

It’s great that Congress gave themselves to unilaterally cancel treaties.

I am sure that the Cherokee were really happy about this development.

A lot of what you say has already happened.

happened over a hundred years ago.

It’s one of the reasons that the Cherokee got screwed out of their land.

1 Like

It happened 50 years ago (Big Mountain for example)
It happened 3 years ago (Dakota pipeline access)
And people are working to make it happen next year.

Not more sovereign citizen ■■■■■■■■■ Please stop with it. Sovereign citizens are fruitcakes.

3 Likes

what was the objective of them appointing someone to represent them in the house?

has it been acheived?

As always top notch research but you are forgetting one thing, the legal aspect aside if the Republicans take this to court it will be a PR disaster for them.

Much better if they negotiate their way out of this .

Petty ■■■■■■■■■

We challenged this it would be anti American crap.

I don’t know the policically correct way of putting this but here it goes:

Some tribes do have programs like this. Where I live – right next to the high school is what has been called (since I moved here) The Indian Dorms (it has an official name but I can’t think of it at the moment.)

Every year, a federally recognized tribe loads up 100 or so students and they come and live in the dorm (BIA paying their living expenses, and travel expens) and take a full regular class schedule at my cities high school.)
Not the only program that this particualr Indian nation does to help their kids. If all of them did it who knows what the results would be.

I was referring to the Indian Residential Schools, where (some) kids were beaten if they used their native name rather than the names the schools handed out.

“In their own best interest” projects have always resulted in failure, even if they resemble “in our own best interest” projects.

(The applicability of that statement to federal vs. states rights issues does not escape me.)

The Dakota Pipeline ran on Indian land? You sure about that?

I affected their land. Re water table.

So no. And no it didn’t. Pipelines don’t affect the water table. They claimed it could to get a pay day.

14th amendment doesn’t give some people two votes. No…

This is lthe imposition of liberal systems of private property at work. Merickson sums up the failures of it well.

They don’t have private property ownership.

Leaking pipelines do.

The pipeline hadn’t been built yet. Do what? Affect the water table? How?