Change My Mind - Abolish IRS, Establish Fair Tax

Currently republicans support this, in lieu of income taxes.

Interesting to think about. I would love to end income tax. But i am not so sure how this would work. Especially with inflation going up as well. Will government have raids on flea markets? And will garage sales suddenly be a place where search warrants are being issued?

I think the only real losers are the charities and non profits.

2 Likes

Taxing food is one of the biggest crimes in modern society. Some states wisely don’t tax food products.

5 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Thank you for your political partisan and irrelevant deflection.

Tell me, have you studied the text of the FAIRTAX ACT which you seem to be in favor of?

JWK

True. Because today they are tax exempt. But non profits that say provide a food bank… would see their costs skyrocket by 20-30%.

They would also need some sort of exemption.

1 Like

An example of how any kind of change only serves to benefit the government the most. They simply don’t do things solely for our benefit, ever.

3 Likes

I’m currently in favor of the republican bill. This thread is to get opposing opinions to change my mind.

Actually he’s correct…it has been purposed by repugs.

Well, I provided a link to the “Republican Bill” and I also POSTED what it would really do if adopted.

JWK

Which is irrelevant to what it would do.

You linked to a bill that is two years old.

Not the recent discussion happening now. Here is the new one

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/25?s=1&r=18

IRS could leverage the state sales tax procedures that already exist in all but 4 or 5 states. “Hey. Could you collect an additional 25%? Send us 23% and you keep 2%.”

And its TEXT is essentially the same as the 2023-24 version. Have you studied it as I have?

Good idea

You haven’t studied the 2023 bill.

And considering that states are charging single-digit sales tax rates in most cases, getting an additional 2% is a huge windfall that should be enough to encourage them to participate.

1 Like

I don’t like this part.

Under the bill, family members who are lawful U.S. residents receive a monthly sales tax rebate (Family Consumption Allowance) based upon criteria related to family size and poverty guidelines.

1 Like

Rich people would pay more… they buy more.

1 Like

I reviewed it for specific provisions which have not changed. What I did not do was update my link to the 2023-24 version after it came on line. The current version, as did the 2022 version:

creates an entirely new tax, a 23 percent tax on articles of consumption, and on “taxable property”;

creates two new tax collecting agencies, an “Excise Tax Bureau” and the “Sales Tax Bureau", in addition to keeping the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms alive, which will also be collecting taxes.

Imposes the new 23% “FairTax” on American citizens and businesses while Congress’ power to lay and collect taxes on “incomes” remains fully intact;

requires taxpayers to file Fair Tax returns twelve times a year;

requires ordinary working people to register with government in order to exercise a fundamental right of mankind . . . selling the property each has in their own labor;

requires ordinary people to become tax collectors for government;

requires taxpayers to keep whatever records Congress may dream up;

allows Congress to lay and collect countless “excise taxes” which members of Congress may dream up, and are calculated from profits, gains and other incomes;

and creates a new entitlement, the “Family Consumption Allowance” [a monthly government check sent to every “qualified family” in the U.S.] that would become another political partisan wedge-issue used during election time to buy votes.

So, tell me, why on earth would any freedom loving person support this rope-a-dope proposal which enlarges and strengthens the federal government’s iron taxing grip around the American people’s necks?

JWK