Can Trump assume emergency powers to deal with the invasion at our southern border?

After you answer my questions. Please be specific.

So, you really can’t explain why the president’s declaration of an emergency is going to “go down in flames”. I didn’t think you could defend your prediction. I don’t think you even understand the latitude the President has under the National Emergencies Act of 1975. Summing the Act up, it actually allows the president to shift money from a number of sources to deal with the declared emergency.

The only question would be, and one which Congress would have to vote upon if they disagree, is the validity of the emergency.

Now that I have educated you, why is it going to “go down in flames” as you predict? Be specific.

JWK

There is no surer way to weaken, subdue, demoralize and then conquer a prosperous and freedom loving people than by allowing and encouraging the poverty stricken, poorly educated, low-skilled, criminal and diseased populations of other countries to invade that country, and make the country’s existing citizens tax-slaves to support the economic needs of such invaders.

You did no such education. You just spouted some random opinions while still avoiding the questions I posed to you. Come on John. I’ve been around long enough to know this routine.

It’s pretty evident why you’re choosing to not directly answer the questions I posed. Because you know you screwed up in backing this when it dawned on you that this is highly unconstitutional.

The Executive cannot re-appropriate funds that the Legislative has already appropriated for some pet project because the funding that the Legislative just gave to the Executive was not the full amount they wanted. That’s not how our system works, per the Constitution that you claim to care so much about.

Couple that with the President himself stating clearly he didn’t even need to do this, because it’s not an emergency, and that he just wanted it done faster, and this thing is going down in flames. The Executive cannot steal appropriated funds just because they didn’t get everything they hoped for from Congress.

You know it. I know it. Even Trump knows it.

Absolutely. The authors of the constitution designed an intricate system of checks and balances into the constitution for a reason. They had lived under rule by a king, and didn’t want that for the US.

This power play by the executive cannot be allowed to stand if that system of checks and balance designed into the constitution is to be honored. The courts will, no doubt, rule accordingly.

1 Like

[quote=“johnwk2, post:1, topic:54729”]
Can President Trump, in view of the ongoing invasion at our southern border, declare an emergency and instruct our military to repel the invasion?

Ongoing Invasion?
:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Well, from your above assertion, it seems quite clear you are not familiar with the National Emergencies Act of 1975.

§ 1705. Allocation of funds.

For the purposes of carrying out the provisions of this subchapter and subchapters II and III of this chapter the President, in his discretion, is authorized to provide such funds or any portion thereof by allotment to the Secretary from any funds that are available, or may hereafter be made available, to the President for emergency purposes.

JWK

Yes. ongoing invasion!

Also see

The fact is, even the citizens of Tijuana call it an invasion!

JWK

The Democrat and Republican Leadership have conspired, for 35 years, to keep the border opened, and today’s Bill continues to allow and encourage illegal border crossings.

John,
Since you are a constitutionalist how do you deal with art 1 section 9 with the president not congress making appropriations.

Let see how you rationalize this one.

Allan

Ok. Lol, they armed? Have they killed anyone yet? Have they invaded anyone?

Yes. ongoing invasion!

Also see

The fact is, even the citizens of Tijuana call it an invasion!

JWK

:roll_eyes:

JWK

All 3 of your links deal with the situation in Mexico and not the US

What do these “emergency powers” allow a president to do? I saw a liberal warning Republicans that a Democrat president could use them to seize guns, but are they really that broad (Second Amendment not withstanding)?

Ye of flexible legalism.

:laughing: :laughing:

So @johnwk2 it appears I’m not the only Constitutionalist on this board that disagrees with you on this one. How do you respond to Safiel’s OP that succinctly challenges your position of supporting an unchecked Executive Branch circumventing the Constitution to steal the power of the purse from Congress?

And here they are bum rushing the border of the united states:

and here they are crawling under the fence at the United States border:

and here they are climbing over the fence at the U.S. border:

What is your point?

We need a properly built barrier which will stop illegal border crossings.

JWK

The Democrat and Republican Leadership have conspired, for 35 years, to keep the border opened, and today’s Bill continues to allow and encourage illegal border crossings.

Nothing says “we need to build a wall” like a picture of a bunch of people climbing over a wall.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And tunneling under… :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

What the pictures indicate is, those walls were never intended to really stop illegal border crossings.

JWK

Well, at least we’re finally getting an admission that walls won’t stop people from crossing. That’s progress I think.