Can the SCOTUS actually create new law?

Substantive due process is a tricky argument to make though.

Which does not exist in the constitution. And how would privacy = abortion?
If I beat my wife to death is that protected under the right to privacy?

Only if the people in those (unnamed) States wish abortion to be banned. And that is very unlikely … even most people who are personally against abortion, do not want it to be abolished. Most likely what would happen is that first trimester abortion would still be readily available in those States, but second and third trimester abortion would become severely restricted. Only if the SCOTUS ruled that human rights begin in the womb would abortion be criminalized as murder.

It would have done no such thing.

Scalia starts out his dissent in Planned Parenthood v Casey thus:

The States may, if they wish, permit abortion on demand, but the Constitution does not require them to do so.

Scalia certainly had no intention of writing an opinion banning abortion nationally. He simply would have sent the issue back to the States to decide for themselves.

Lol…sigh sadly you are serious…

An amendment that says “money is not speech” would not achieve what you want.

The “liberty” part of the Fourteenth Amendment makes more sense as a justification.

High school was a quite a long time ago :grinning:

Please elaborate.

If an Amendment to the United States Constitution that says “money is not speech” were to be passed, the effect of Citizens United would remain in effect. “Money is not speech” is not a construction that would have an effect on it because what was overturned was a prohibition on showing a politucally expressive film.

Every legal decision is political, without exception.

It is not just citizens United. There have been several cases that have made this abhorrent rulings.
However,
Doing a quick search on CU:

Do you disagree with that?

Also, there is an entire movement dealing with this issue.

That was odd…did not post correctly.

I’ll try again:

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission. Holding: Political spending is a form of protected speech under the First Amendment, and the government may not keep corporations or unions from spending money to support or denounce individual candidates in elections.

The lives of those babies are far more important than money.

Yeah I don’t get where “privacy” includes the right to kill one’s unborn child.

Do you really think if abortion is banned, abortions will stop?

In states to do ban them, (and some will), safe abortion, by trained professionals will be banned.

And of course, in those states, those with the means ($$$) will easily get their abortions.

I believe you have stated in the past being a Christian.
What is your opinion of Israel not only allowing abortion, but the state paying for it if necessary?

I think less abortions will be performed. Every life saved is worth it!

Israel? If that is what they are doing then I disapprove just like I do with the US doing it.

What logic did you use to to “think” that?
Are you for more Birth Control and effective sex ed being taught, to decrease unwanted pregnancies?

I am surprised you are unaware of how Israel handles abortion.

The Republican platform definitely puts money before the welfare of children.

What logic? Common sense. Some people just aren’t going to travel to other states to have their child killed.

You know that.