Can someone please tell me what's going on with the job market?

The video gives some statistics about the current rate of unemployment and interviews someone about current struggles to get a job.

I’ve been on the hunt for a job for about 6 months now, currently have over 80 jobs I’ve applied to, and have technically gotten two jobs but both of those didn’t work out. One of them at a kennel tech where I was having trouble keeping up with the dogs and dealing with aggressive dogs (was let go primarily for safety reasons). The other was an opthamologist’s office where they offered me basically an externship (paid to shadow when I mentioned I wanted to go into the healthcare field); was let go because of transportation issues (they said the thing was that I needed a car since they might call me in at odd hours).

I noticed that employers have a trend of posting job openings on online job boards (like Indeed), applicants getting rejected/ghosted, and then the job being reposted. This has happened to me and I saw in the comments, other people as well. They mentioned getting data for the job pool statistics (demographics) and hirees not working out during the probation period. I wonder if there are any other reasons for this? Can anyone give any insight?

Second post for thread stats.

Pale is stale.

Straight ain’t great.

:wink:

Yes.

Later I will post some stats (charts) they might seem political and I do not wish to derail your thread so for now, let’s just say “There is at least some evidence that getting a full-time job is tough right now and only a handful of sectors/industries are hiring in large numbers.”

More importantly:
A job coach I once knew would smile at your story, and say “NO. You did not apply for 80 jobs. You spamned your resume out 80 times. You hit the send button 80 times.”

Apparently, actual hiring managers hate the job sites because they produce hundreds and hundreds of spammed resumes clogging their inboxes.
→ Most of the senders aren’t truly interested or qualified. Many of them have already found other jobs.

If you want the hiring manager to know you have applied, call them.
Otherwise know that "Clicking send 80 times does not equal applying 80 times.
The follow-up phone call is 100% necessary.

I wish you well

1 Like

Interesting why this post is not developing more steam? I spoke with several recruiters about this, and all of them are saying the job market is very slow. Been searching for a good job myself and usually my phone rings off the hook (had a few to want an interview). Based on website data, there are 200–300 people applying for jobs, with the high-end jobs having fewer applicants, but still a lot.

1 Like

Below is a 50-year and 25-year chart of full-time jobs.

Full-time jobs, as a percent of the labor force, are near the 50-year high.
(Because this is a politics forum I should concede that before continuing the discussion.)

But, as a job-hunter, what matters to you is the red arrow at the end.
You are not asking “how many other people have full-time jobs,”
nor “are a lot of other people working right now?”
You are asking “What are my prospects?”

The fact that the number is shrinking means now is
not a good time to be looking for a full-time job.
It means companies are shedding full-time employees more quickly than they are hiring them.

Nuts-and-bolts, for the job search:
→ Be more aggressive than usual. (Follow-up phone calls, “thank you for your time” emails etc…)
→ Be prepared to accept your second or third choice, (further away, less enjoyable job etc…)

When discussing whether the job market is good or bad, what’s mostly talked about is how hard it is to find a job. Are wages a consideration at all? What difference does it make if the job market is flooded with 15-17 dollar an hour jobs, if the pay isn’t good? That pay hasn’t been good for over two decades now. That’s good pay for the late 80s, early 90s.

1 Like