California about as tax friendly as texas

I never wanted, or needed, to change the zoning of a building.

That sounds very specific.

That’s great, didn’t know that

They get ya back though with property valuations.

Look I’m not saying there’s no exceptions, but I do know the regs in general are much less in Texas therefore much lees costly to open the doors.
I lived in Texas many years & almost didn’t have regs to deal with, low cost of living in general, & low overall taxes. Property is a bit high there though.

My family in Tennessee seems to have it the best no state income tax, no property tax on vehicles. Plus property taxes aren’t bad and prices are not through the roof just yet in Nashville although that is changing and been one of the hottest house markets in the U.S.

1 Like

I heard Tenn is a low tax state

I have lived (and paid taxes) in New York, Florida, California and Virginia.

I have never really noticed much of a difference, when it comes to taxes.

Yep them and Florida. I am sure they are more but those are the two I have my eyes on when it comes time to think about retirement which is a long time away. :slight_smile:

Can’t remember which one but one I think doesn’t tax your retirement account could be wrong though.

How many make $160,000.00 per year? The average is only $63,688. This chart says California is the fourth worst state in the entire US?

$63,688

Median household income in the United States rose to $63,688 in January 2019 , a 0.3% increase over the Sentier Research’s estimate of $63,517 for December 2018.Feb 27, 2019

Texas property tax rates are set locally, not statewide. So the tax rate depends on where you live. Rural, mostly agricultural areas have much lower tax rates than municipal Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, or Austin. Same goes for the sales tax. The rate varies based on the locality, with a state mandated maximum of 8.25%

the reason taxes in ag areas of texas is becasue texas offers an enormous ag exemption for property taxes when the land is also used for ag. even if its just having a couple of cows…

A bonus is that we have businesses blow up and as a result of no or very few zoning laws hundreds of residential homes get damaged.

1 Like

This is somewhat misleading in that it does not factor in the overall cost of living in a state like CA. Consider the following:

Lol, that budget is ■■■■■■■ bonkers. Middle class families don’t mortgage $1.8 million homes.

Without trying, found preschool in San Jose for half the price.

What middle class family is spending over $2k on food per month?

It’d be extremely rare for a middle class family to put 1k per month towards a 529.

Gah, whoever wrote that article is an idiot.

Austin is no longer in Texas.

1 Like

I believe if you look closely at “Texas”, you will see dem fingerprints all over those high property taxes.

And the 2nd worse for taxes? Bernie world!
Hmmmm

We own homes in Baltimore (County) MD and Palm Beach County FL
Taxes run about 5% less in FL
Taking all things in comparison i.e. police, fire, schools, roads, recreation, transportation etc, we think we’re getting more for our tax dollars in Florida.
Besides, it’s FLORIDA not the People’s Republic of Maryland fer crissakes!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we don’t want people from left wing states migrating here. :wink:

I wouldn’t live in Nashville by the way. Some of the higher house prices and a blue spot in a red state.
Very liberal mayors.

so its the only decent spot in the state…