Bullfighting protests in Mexico City

Interesting; Mexico is currently one of eight countries that allows this.

The city held its first bullfight since 2022 on Sunday.
A judge had ordered the indefinite suspension of the practice - which dates back to the 16th Century in Mexico - agreeing with animal rights activists who had filed a suit.
The Supreme Court revoked the decision last month, but a legal battle between supporters and opponents is likely.
Local media reported that the judges ruled only on technical aspects and have yet to decide on the case’s merits.
“Torture is not art, it is not culture,” demonstrators shouted near the Plaza de México bullring, the largest bullfighting arena in the world.
People waved banners with slogans, including “no more deaths of innocents”. Others wore bull masks and painted themselves in red.

1 Like

I saw a bullfight as a teenager and was pretty sickened by it. Even back in the 80s as a kid I could not get my head around that so many people enjoyed it.

I know many countries have bullfighting which does not physically hurt the animal but still they are tauting and goading it so in my opinion it is still a form of cruelty.

However its up to these individual countries to determine it it should be banned or changed in someway.

1 Like

Never been to one and don’t know much about the culture, always been curious.

I’m far from an animal rights activist, but it does seem a bit barbaric.

Saw it in Spain when I was on holiday. It is definitely a tradition with a long history but that does not mean it should continue.

There are a growing number of cities in Spain that no longer allow bull fighting within their jurisdiction.

This reminds me of a joke from back in the 60s or 70s when Central America was embroiled in political turmoil …

Tour Guide in Central American country saying proudly to his entourage of tourists - “Bull fighting is our number one sport.”

Tourist. - " That’s revolting!"

Tour Guide - “No … That’s our number two sport.”

:wink:

7 Likes

Bullfighting could be more fair when the matadors were only armed with their own set of horns

1 Like

That’s great. It took me about 5 seconds to get it.

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

My grandparents were from Spain. My grandmother used to hate bullfighting. She also didn’t like running with the bulls. She thought the people that did that were as dumb as rocks. I don’t remember her exact words.

Me personally, I like it when the bull wins. But how often does that happen? It’s a sport. I don’t get outraged over it. I don’t hunt either, but people also hunt for sport. Most hunters don’t do it to cull the population. They don’t do it for food. They do it because they enjoy hunting and killing an animal. Something I do not enjoy. But I’m not judging them either.

Good question. How many races does a sprinter win if you cut his hamstrings?

I don’t watch it. Personally I think there is something seriously wrong with people who enjoy watching an animal be tortured to death.

1 Like

I agree.

1 Like

They’re Spaniards. What do you expect?

Read up on how they treated each other during the Spanish Civil War.

And we’ve all see how Latin America tends to act.

Aside from its beauty, Latin culture is also â– â– â– â– â– â–  up from the jungle to the peninsula. :rofl:

They are good at murdering.

Burning people with a tire was absolutely genius. Minimize the use of actual fuel to start the fire. It gets stupidly hot really fast. Also makes cleanup easier.

Gotta fight climate change.

1 Like

Olé!!

250,000 bulls are killed in the ring each year. They eat the bull afterwards. 200 horses die each year bullfighting as well. Not sure if they eat the horse or not, but I’ve had Texas fajitas and wondered at times. Its not going anywhere.

German soldiers at Stalingrad thought the horses were pretty tasty.

Then again they were starving to death so I’m sure that played a role.

Wow. Way more than I ever would have guessed. I didn’t know they ate the meat either but makes sense.