BREAKING: Joe Biden has been elected the 46th President of the United States of America

Some were even talking about impeachment BEFORE he even won the nomination.

4 Likes

Nice try, but not in the slightest.

The people pushing the compact acknowledge that some compacts require approval of Congress before they can go into effect. They have marshaled legal arguments why they think their Compact wouldn’t be subject to such Congressional approval so it can be debated.

Surely, anyone with more than a passing familiarity with the history of the push for the compact would know this…:sunglasses:

1 Like

It is for these exact reasons I voted for Biden. He does not get to make his own constitutional rules.

The whole thing is based on the premise that state legislators can choose the electors using any criteria they please even if it is contrary to how the people in their state voted. Seems the same to me. My position is that it is unconstitutional to disenfranchise voters in that manner.

1 Like

Bill Barr out of the DOJ! Mike Pompeo out of State. These are tremendous things!

8 Likes

I dunno, I’d like to think that the across the aisle connections that Biden made over many years in the Senate could count for something…

3 Likes

Understandable.

Maybe some austerity and minor drug reform.

Infrastructure potentially. Gives both sides something to brag about for their next election.

I dont think its a GIVEN that Republicans control the senate.
Looks like there were will be 2 run offs in GA.

A state where millions of people just learned that their vote REALLY mattered.

2 Likes

Until Twitter bans him.

I almost wrote that. My concern is that Biden signs on to some form of Public-Private scheme that comes with tax write-offs, union busting/“right to work” and unaccountable shoveling of funds to mega large contractors.

1 Like

Again…not in the slightest.

The first constraint is, as I pointed out, if a legislature changes how electors are selected, it can only take effect the NEXT Presidential election. So the compact pushers would only be the same as Mark Lewin IF and only if they are trying to say right now their compact is going into effect. This is not legal.

And then there are the other constraints. There are laws that de-incentivize selecting electors in any way other than the popular vote and there is the matter over whether this compact will require Congressional approval.

The argument against Lewin’s stance is NOT that the legislature can’t decide how to choose electors.

It’s that they can’t do so retrospectively, and a Constitutional scholar such as Lewin obviously knows that.

3 Likes

Isn’t it nice to be talking about actual policy issues, though?

3 Likes

Where can I find the you can only change it for the next election thing in the constitution?

Yep all of the sudden the courts will allow a new President nullify the old President’s executive order.

1 Like

Search for “ex post facto”.

Rick Grenell goes back under his rock

1 Like

I don’t need to search for it, it’s not applicable, the legislature hasn’t selected the electors yet.

I have very little doubt that in the end it would look quite a bit like what you are describing here. But from a political angle, it is something that can be “accomplished” between the two sides. With tons of credit being claimed by either side about what they brought home to their respective States.