Bloomberg: Small & Med Businesses face increasing rent delinquencies

From the article

The delinquency rate for US small businesses climbed to a three-year high this month, reflecting the impact of rent spikes and declining revenue, according to a monthly survey.

The Small Business Rent report from Alignable, which provides an online networking platform for owners, found that 43% of small businesses were unable to pay their rent in full due to economic headwinds. That’s the highest rent delinquency rate since March 2021.

Independent restaurants are having the most trouble, with 52% not paying April rent on time. On the other hand, just 20% of small manufacturers are delinquent. . . .

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-26/us-small-business-rent-delinquencies-rise-to-a-three-year-high

The tail of the article sounds pretty dire:

. . . Increasing costs and declining revenues are hitting firms, according to the report. Some 34% say they only have one month or less cash on hand.

The survey of 4,171 small-business owners was conducted during the first three weeks of April.

I cannot understand how there are so many small strip malls still being built in the city where I live only to have the majority of the units sit empty. Not to mention older more established strip malls have multiple empty units.

Is this some sort of real estate scam?

Particularly when most everyplace needs more residential units.

1 Like

Again my city is a prime example of this. It continues to fund luxury apartments that always start off with a certain number of affordable housing units but that seems to magically disappear when the buildings open.

Out here they’re tearing down malls and putting up ground level store fronts with nerd boxes next 5/6/ floors above stores.

Downtown Redmond, use to be small stores and business shops.

This use to be a mall.

As you can see, nerd boxes above store fronts.

What’s a nerd box? An apartment?

I have heard the reference, but it generally refers to apartments occupied by young professionals or students, hence the term nerd.

1 Like

Apparently to be a true American patriot you have to somehow live in a rural area. Yet across the US many rural areas have the highest unemployment rates and welfare recipients.

Out in my neck of the woods, most construction is upper six figure houses on many acres of land, but there are a number of starter houses under construction in Mount Airy, as well as a small apartment complex, again, in the starter range.

Strangely, occupancy rates at no-anchor strip malls is abnormal high right now. (In fact may expkain part of the del. rate.)