Blended Sentencing

Well I mean all the French revolutionaries guillotined each other one hot summer in 1794.

So yeah. Some excesses.

1 Like

If they’re directly involved, OK. That’s no different than any other crime.

If little Johnny goes out, gets a gat from his homies, and shoots up the rival crew’s block party, his parents aren’t guilty of being gangbangers. They’re likely ■■■■■■ parents though.

Charging the parents with shooting up the block party just to get a pound of flesh is way too far over the line.

4 Likes

In such an instance, I agree.

I’m just happy to see common sense returning. Being a juvenile should no longer be a literal “get of jail free” card.

3 Likes

It’s just a funny way of saying it is all. I don’t necessarily disagree.

1 Like

I see them as a bunch of toddlers with a new toy. And in their excitement they didn’t know how much responsibility you need with something like a guillotine.

It was the first time that executions were standardized in France. Your birth class didn’t determine how you got offed for once. And they were genuinely excited about it. No more breaking on the wheel! Vive la Republique!

1 Like

There would probably only be two executions - the first and the last all in one execution.

This sounds like a good plan. A path to rehabilitation, and if they don’t get their act together, they’ll be moved to the adult legal system.

Personally, I would also add as one of the criteria, “paid restitution to the victims” if it is a violent crime.

As to the first part of the OP- I do have to wonder where this stands in regards to the 8th amendment because a juvenile sentence, and then going to the adult court and getting an adult sentence for the same crime, could be considered double jeopardy?

Initially I agreed with this, but we have to consider the studies that have shown certain psychotropic drugs have made these offenders more likely to do heinous crimes such as this.

They should be charged, absolutely, but should we also punish professionals who prescribe these drugs to youth?

…and should without question be taken into account in the decision whether or not to hold parents accountable and to what degree if any?

Yes.

of course that is unconstitional.

Allan

1 Like

Why is it unconstitutional?

SCOTUS says so.

violation of the 8th amendment.

Kennedy v. Louisiana (2008)

In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court struck down Louisiana’s statute, ruling that a death sentence was disproportionate to the crime and unconstitutional under the 8th Amendment. The Court held that all such laws were contrary to the national consensus restricting the death penalty to the worst offenses, which has been defined as murder.

Allan

1 Like

I actually expect that the current Supreme Court will eventually overturn Kennedy v Louisiana, which was a 5 to 4 decision anyhow.

If the Supreme Court throws out the “evolving standards of society” crap and adopts an originalist view of the cruel and unusual clause, the government could impose the death penalty for robbing the mails if it liked.

1 Like

Which may not be a bad idea, considering all the armed robberies of mail carriers for their master keys.

Isn’t horse theft still a death penalty charge in some states?

Me and my friends joked about it when we were teenagers because some middle aged man from around here decided to jack someone’s horse out of his field.

Why? What are the indications?

For being negligent. Though, medication can have different side effects depending on the person.