Big day in Jan 6 verdicts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/01/23/oathkeepers-verdict-seditious-conspiracy-jan6-guilty/

“Joseph Hackett, 52, ; Roberto Minuta, 38; David Moerschel, 45 and Edward Vallejo, 64, were described by federal prosecutors as armed and dangerous traitors, and by their attorneys as hapless has-beens who stumbled into chaos.” “Vallejo came with friends from Arizona; he spent the morning of Jan. 6 trying to figure out where he parked his truck the day before. Then surveillance video shows he went back to the Ballston Comfort Inn where the Oath Keepers had stashed their guns.”

Up to 20 years for Bigo.

“Eight counts” ?
That’s four counts for each foot on that desk! :rofl:
He musta really pissed Pelosi off!

6 Likes

Hopefully the four seditious scum go up the river for many years.

1 Like

I hope wins appeal and is retried in Arkansas.
His lawyers claim he couldn’t possibly get a fair trial in DC because of a contaminated jury pool has merit in my opinion.

7 Likes

Why would they try him in Arkansas?

1 Like

How many Antifa/ BLM rioters received prison sentences from their escapades during the summer of 2020 and beyond.
Arson, murder, vandalism, assaults on federal and local police officers, destruction of federal properties.
Lot of charges to go around, anybody in the hoosegow?

3 Likes

Tsarnaev was tried in Boston by a Boston jury.

A DC jury is perfectly fine for these guys.

The third paragraph of Section 2 of Article III of the Constitution reads:

The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.

Congress has long designated DC as the place for trial of crimes committed in DC.

If they don’t want a DC jury, don’t commit a crime in DC.

Of course, it would be better yet not to commit the crime at all, in which case you don’t have to worry about where the jury is from.

2 Likes

It’s his domicile. You can ask for a change of venue wherever, not that you’ll get it. But DC? C’mon man.

1 Like

He should have stayed in Arkansas in the first place. 20 years. I hope he had fun. It looks like he did.

1 Like

An Associated Press review of court documents in more than 300 federal cases stemming from the protests sparked by George Floyd’s death last year shows that dozens of people charged have been convicted of serious crimes and sent to prison.

The AP found that more than 120 defendants across the United States have pleaded guilty or were convicted at trial of federal crimes including rioting, arson and conspiracy. More than 70 defendants who’ve been sentenced so far have gotten an average of about 27 months behind bars. At least 10 received prison terms of five years or more.

3 Likes

Insurrection!!

2 Likes

The crime was committed in DC, not Arkansas. “Domicile” is irrelevant in determining venue for a criminal trial.

3 Likes

“But what about these other crimes” is not a defense - nor a reaaon to change venue.

2 Likes

Oh this is rich. From your article:

The political fighting over the cases comes as some Republicans in Washington have tried to downplay the attack on the Capitol, with many of them portraying the siege as a mostly peaceful protest despite the shocking violence that unfolded on live TV.

They’re complaining about republicans downplaying attack, while the entire mainstream media, themselves included, was downplaying the riots, looting, arson, and violence.

I guess irony is lost on them.

6 Likes

Plenty of hypocrisy to go around on both sides. That’s what party politics does to us.

4 Likes

They desecrated the temple, that day was worse than 9/11 times eleventy two!

Faints1

5 Likes

True, Section 2 of Article III says so. That said in my opinion the jury pool in DC is somewhat biased.

2 Likes

Now think people…how long ago did this happen? This is just now being adjudicated? Where has this man been held all during this time and at what level of detention? Now…let’s see what he’s being charged with? It says there’s 8 charges and these are the one’s I’m seeing laid out first;

including entering and remaining in a restricted area with a deadly or dangerous weapon and obstructing an official proceeding.

He faces up to 20 years in prison for the top charge of obstructing an official proceeding.
^^^^^^^ that’s a pretty serious penalty…does it fit the crime? ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let’s take a look at this “dangerous or deadly weapon”…what was it? If the charge is 20 years, I’m going with a machine gun. Let’s see what it is?

A close-up of the photograph showed the Richard “Bigo” Barnett had a stun gun in his pants, which prosecutors identified as a Zap Hike ‘N Strike Walking Staff with spike electronic spikes.
https://www.bing.com/shop?q=zap+hike'n+strike+hiking+stick&FORM=SHOPPA&originIGUID=318C993906044FEA9E03C4E85497272B

People…can “we” all agree that the level of attention this has gotten, the price these defendants are paying…is CRIMINAL…for the crime committed?

Look at the guy smiling in the picture and then consider the DC police, pulling barricades and waving people in. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

4 Likes

You didn’t read the article. He hasn’t been “held” anywhere. He’s still not in custody, even though he’s been convicted.

2 Likes