Biden sharply hikes US tariffs on an array of Chinese imports

The tariff rate on electric vehicles under Section 301 will increase from 25% to 100% in 2024.

The tariff rate on semiconductors will increase from 25% to 50% by 2025.

The tariff rate on certain steel and aluminum products under Section 301 will increase from 0–7.5% to 25% in 2024.

The tariff rate on solar cells (whether or not assembled into modules) will increase from 25% to 50% in 2024.

The tariff rates on syringes and needles will increase from 0% to 50% in 2024. For certain personal protective equipment (PPE), including certain respirators and face masks, the tariff rates will increase from 0–7.5% to 25% in 2024. Tariffs on rubber medical and surgical gloves will increase from 7.5% to 25% in 2026.

The tariff rate on ship-to-shore cranes will increase from 0% to 25% in 2024.

The tariff rate on lithium-ion EV batteries will increase from 7.5%% to 25% in 2024, while the tariff rate on lithium-ion non-EV batteries will increase from 7.5% to 25% in 2026. The tariff rate on battery parts will increase from 7.5% to 25% in 2024.

The tariff rate on natural graphite and permanent magnets will increase from zero to 25% in 2026. The tariff rate for certain other critical minerals will increase from zero to 25% in 2024.

Tariffs are awful, inefficient economic policy. That semiconductor price hike, for example, will make all downstream domestic industry more expensive and less competitive.

It’s smarter just to subsidize domestic semiconductors directly until they’re competitive globally.

Annoyingly, this is a good re-election policy. I don’t understand why Americans clap for purposeful supply shocks–but they do, so there you go. Enjoy them.

Of course, China will respond this way.
I’ll never understand why this is so popular. Trade wars aren’t fun for anyone.

1 Like

Aww, look at West Taiwan getting upset. :rofl:

4 Likes

Damn that Xiden!!!

1 Like

Ahhhhhhhhhhh…is Biden now a Trump wannabe? :sunglasses: :tumbler_glass:

(it was a rhetorical question to my Hannity Land lib friends)

3 Likes

:joy:. Tariffs weren’t invented in 2017 :blush:

…cept u. :sunglasses: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

What would Trump do is a perfectly acceptable funny when it comes to this admin as they have taken up a few of his policies.

Tarriffs are only good when our guy does it. Otherwise bad president baaaad!

Now if he could Trumpathize the border…this nation would be billions and billions and billions better off.

5 Likes

But they were bad then. Just because one automaton tries to not sound like a cheerleader for a change, doesn’t mean the rest will. :rofl:

2 Likes

It appears this has a lot to do with cheap electric vehicles coming from China.

1 Like

Election season slight of hand.

5 Likes

It was so insane to me. How tarrifs suddenly became bad for the left and good for the right.

3 Likes

I agree tariffs are just increased taxes on Americans via purchased goods. We pay the price.

1 Like

UAW members won’t fall for it…Just the spoiled leadership will.

Like the chip act…two years ago.

Sleight of hand!

1 Like

Tariffs would have worked better. Less corruption. Dems are all about that corruption.

:rofl:

Great analysis. Thanks. :smirk:

Election year grandstanding.

3 years, nothing.

Election year rolls around all of a sudden biden is concerned about the border and china.

He must think we are all as stupid as his family is.

7 Likes

The flops always flip and the flips always flop, usually about every 4 - 8 years. :wink: