Bert and Erine Gay? does it even matter

There has been a public debate of late on the sexuality of long time puppet Bert and Erine with former producer saying they are in fact gay and other producers saying they are not.

but it beg the question does it really matter?

Bert and Ernie are still just roommates.

In a statement, Sesame Workshop was prompted to address the famous puppets’ relationship after a former writer for “Sesame Street” said his own relationship with another man inspired his writing of the characters.
“I always felt that without a huge agenda, when I was writing Bert and Ernie, they were [gay],” Mark Saltzman, who worked for the preschooler program for 15 years, told Queerty in an interview. “I didn’t have any other way to contextualize them.”

Saltzman added that he was already with his now-late partner of 20 years, Arnie, at the time he started with the show in 1984, “so I don’t think I’d know how else to write them, but as a loving couple.”

Grabs popcorn…

They bathe together and sleep together. Obviously they are a gay couple. Its not explicitly stated in the show nor should it be but I’m not sure how else you can possibly look at it and not realize they’ve always been gay.

They’re puppets. Plus the creator of them, Frank Oz has said he never imagined them being gay. It was a writer on the show who did that. so…

whole lot of nuthin.

I always thought they were brothers.

Gay? Not likely.
I think they each only have one pair of shoes. Two at the most.

1 Like

It’s been ages since I watched the show, didn’t watch it with my daughter when she was little.

Where the show was filmed, though, New York City, roommates are more the rule than the exception due to very high rents.

I’ll leave if they were gay or not to you guys.