Bankruptcy Filings Drop 6.3 Percent

Total bankruptcies have continued the sharp decline that has existed since the beginning of the Covid pandemic.

There was a twist in 2022, however.

Chapter 7 continued its sharp drop.
Chapter 12 continued its sharp drop.

Chapter 11 increased extremely slightly.
Chapter 13 increased sharply, completely revering the ground lost in 2021.

Chapter 13 is individual reorganization, conducted over a 3 to 5 year period. If the individual is unable to successfully fulfil the terms, Chapter 13 can, on the request of creditors, be converted to Chapter 7, which is individual liquidation.

This is most likely the natural result of the various Covid emergency subsidies and programs ending, combined with the effects of inflation.

I suspect, as time goes on, a good portion of those Chapter 13 bankruptcies will end up going into Chapter 7.

On the whole, however, total business and non-business bankruptcy filings remain down.

2 Likes

can’t afford the court costs?

2 Likes

Bankruptcy can be filed “in forma pauperis” which waives the filing fee requirements for destitute people. And there are usually non profits available that will file a simple Chapter 7 on a pro bono basis.

1 Like

Not enough businesses left to file for bankruptcy in the first place. lol

3 Likes

It’s called Elliot waves. and they get larger before they get smaller.
(1–3—5—8 if you subscribe to the theory)

• Home equity doesn’t look all that stable
  • Car repossessions are at a decade high and climbing at perhaps the fastest paces on record
  • Retail & day traders now comprise almost 23% of stock market volume
    – (That is higher than at the top of the meme-stock frenzy and rivals the tulip bubble)
1 Like

It’s not very difficult to find news that contradicts this.
I have no reason to think your source is biased or whatever.
I guess it depends on one’s counting method.

1 Like

I am not sure how a reporting of raw data can be biased.

It’s just raw data from the United States Courts.

1 Like

Also, some of those article titles are talking 2023, and the data I linked is for 2022.

1 Like

Sample-size error.

Hmm what I am about to post could be a standard variation in sample size but . . .
20 large U.S. companies with at least $50 million in liabilities have filed for bankruptcy in January.

Highest since January 2010.

2010 . . . wasn’t the athe days of Lehman and Bear and Enron?

1 Like

There won’t be any official data from the United States Courts for 2023, until the first quarter reports (January, February, March) come out towards the end of April or the beginning of May.

Quite a while yet before we will have any useful official information for 2023.

1 Like

Fair enough.

When the numbers ares small to begin with I am not sure if this is just a normal fluctuation or not.

Apparently euro bankruptcies are rising a a substantial clip.
Two probable factors

• Russia sanctions affect Europe more than the US
  • Euro companies including pension funds tend to invest in gov’t bonds (instead of stocks) AND THEN USE THOSE BONDS AS COLLATERAL
  • Euro environmental policies are drop-kicking anything ag related: wine, cheese, flowers, grains, cooking oil, everything. Farmers, farm suppliers, farm lenders, farm ing villages are all in big trouble over there.

33,200,000 small businesses in the United States.

thats quite a few not declaring bankruptcy.

Allan

Propping that up as anywhere near enough is about as pathetic as the number itself. Stop butting in on me with these below average IQ bootlickings. I’m not here to (D)umb myself down for the sidelines. :rofl:

Yes.
As soon as everyone had to stay home,
and got free money via PPP
a lot of people formed a (ahem, cough cough) “business.”
(I even encountered anecdotes of bots that just start up small businesses and applied for free PPP money.)

Questions are

• How many of those are real?
  • How many of the real untried untested start-up businesses will survive when neither they nor their customers are getting free money?
  • How many start-up businesses NOW (and in the foreseeable future) are at a disadvantage because their field is crowded with free money competitors?