Bank of America survey via Yahoo Finance: "Americans continue to ransack their retirement savings"

I have a couple of guesses why this is happening.
None of them are “This is happening because the economy is strong and getting stronger.”

Americans continue to ransack their retirement savings, survey finds

Kerry Hannon · Senior Columnist
Sat, November 11, 2023 at 7:30 AM EST·4 min read

The ravaging of retirement accounts is on a roll.

The number of participants taking hardship withdrawals from their 401(k) was up 13% in the third quarter versus the second quarter . . . and up 27% compared to the number of withdrawals during the first three months of the year. . . .

“In looking at our data across 401(k) plans, economic hardships continue to be a factor,” Lisa Margeson, managing director, Retirement Research and Insights Group at Bank of America, told Yahoo Finance. . . .

According to the Bank of America survey, the average worker hardship withdrawal from a 401(k) plan in the third quarter of the year was $5,070, on par with the average withdrawal in previous quarters this year.

Borrowing from retirement savings was also up. . . .

I think one big reason is to financially support their loser kids who “followed their heart” and got stupid degrees and have nothing but student loan debt to show for them. If those parents gave them ■■■■■■■■ advice like “do what you love and the money will follow” they deserve it.

1 Like

I took a hardship withdrawal this year because of the strikes in the entertainment industry.

About a million people out of work for months would raise that percentage imo.

1 Like

There are definitely a number of high-profile strikes post-COVID.

Yet the article implies (by use of the phrase “continue to” that the trend began earlier than the strikes did.

I can’t say you’re wrong.
But nothing about that increased recently has it?

By May 2022 indoor mask mandates were at an end (COVID shut down effectively over) and yet hardship withdrawals continued to rise to an all-time high through October 2022 (nearly 1/2% per month from CNBC chart below) and have been rising since (article above.)

Not every family has seen their wages rise. Even those who have, didn’t see enough to cover price increases. The credit cards are about maxed out for more people and the 401K/403(b), 457, IRA is about all that is left for many just trying to make ends meet…

2 Likes

I find this hard to believe? Bidenomics has rebuilt the economy from the middle out and the bottom up. :+1:

Sadly, one common way to measure the economy is to measure (just) spending.

GDP = spending.
It is an economic indicator.
It should not be used as a synonym for “the economy” but it often is used that way.

A true understanding of the economy includes not only

• how much spending (GDP)?

But also

• Who is doing the spending, and
  • Where are they getting the money from.
1 Like

I’ve said this before that in many ways our economy is a mirage as it’s built on 33 trillion dollars of debt.