Ayn Rand and a Moral Basis for Being a Sociopath

Judge which are worthy and which are not? This society? :rofl: Not hardly.

To whom?

What political stances would a sociopath tend to have?

Individualism apparently.

It is what it is. I’m sure sometime in the future, if we haven’t killed ourselves off and answered Fermis Paradox, what different societies deem as moral will be drastically different. Frameworks change, technology introduce changes, ideas change.

1 Like

So you hate the military.

1 Like

I don’t care what “society” deems moral. This society is immoral and in no position to judge anyone.

And I recognize with that being your opinion. :+1:t3:

How are you defining society? Just the government? How about its religions? Its charities?

Do you benefit from the trappings of this immoral society?

All of it. The whole collective.

Not yet.

Maybe. What else?

Yes you have.

[quote=“IBC, post:363, topic:65731, full:true”]

I can understand that argument. I would counter though that Rand applies a lot of her philosophy into her fiction and the world that she creates is horrifying.

There is another sci-fi book, “Beggars in Spain” that applies her ideas but to people who are genetically engineered to be superior to the general population. Real deal Ubermench. And the moral quandary of what do those who have every advantage of wealth, body and mind owe to those who are their “lessers”. When one removes the illusion that all are created equal… what happens next?

It is a good book and a pretty quick read.

I will end with the thought that a moral system based on lassez faire transactions will not work in the moral structure of humans for the same reason that a Marxist system will not work with humans.

Or… basically the plot of Bioshock.

2 Likes

Is the internet and all the other products you consume the result of society?

This lone wolf persona feels a little unrealistic.

3 Likes

I’m cool with you arguing against Rand’s system. You should. But her system bears no greater burden of proof the any other.

To those they would call to follow.

Was a great dystopian game. It’s been a long time, but rapture was definitely riveting.

2 Likes

I understand your point.

I just think that when one is arguing counter to centuries of human thought… one should have the goods.

Perhaps some of the lone wolves could just find a stretch of land outside the United States to call their own and go it alone.

A fellow could take his guns with him to defend it, though that’s taking an awful lot of benefit away from society.

It’d suck to be so dependent on that somebody else mined the iron and manufactured the carbon to make the steel and the somebody else who forged it into barrels and receivers and springs and screws and the somebody else who mined the copper and the zinc and the somebody else who alloyed it and the somebody else who forged it into casings and the somebody else who mined the lead and the iron and the copper and the somebody else who made bullets and the somebody else who manufactured the nitrocellulose and the primers and the somebody else who logged the wood and the somebody else who formed it into stocks.

Awful lot of dependence on other people there to wield the instrument of one’s rugged individualism and symbol of virility.

3 Likes

Amazing game…which hits on many of the topics discussed here.

2 Likes