Ayn Rand and a Moral Basis for Being a Sociopath

A post from the President Bush thread claimed Ayn Rand provided “a moral basis for being a sociopath.”

I agree.

Definition of sociopath:

a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

Antisocial
contrary to the laws and customs of society; devoid of or antagonistic to sociable instincts or practices.
not sociable; not wanting the company of others.

Attitudes, behavior and a lack of conscious as defined by whom or what? Why “society” of course.

Society
the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.

So sociopath was used as a pejorative, of course. That’s the way “society” describes anyone who is against it. As mental, damaged, unclean, unworthy.

Perhaps this was one of Rand’s points. Perhaps this “society” is not something worth being for. I certainly don’t care for it.

Another comment was made about lacking empathy. Again, I agree. I don’t have empathy for people who ignore the rules of fair and just in favor of “equal”. I have no empathy for people who ignore the law and take. I have no empathy for people who steal. Who impose. Who are rude.

Looking at this “society”, no, it’s not worth being for.

IT’s a mental illness, and not a good one. I’m surprised you’d want to claim it.

How to Spot a Sociopath

• Superficial charm and good intelligence.
  • Unreliability.
  • Untruthfulness and insincerity.
  • Lack of remorse and shame.
  • Inadequately motivated antisocial behavior.
  • Poor judgment and failure to learn by experience.

Wow. This reminds me of someone…

1 Like

As defined by whom?

DSM V. They got a few criteria wrong in that list.

Society

Psychology Today. Who did the Ayn Rand critical analysis? Oh, some anonymous poster on an internet thread?

The actual DSM term for sociopathy is “Antisocial Personality Disorder”. Are you sure you want that label? I sure wouldn’t. The Mayo Clinic says "
Antisocial personality disorder, sometimes called sociopathy, is a mental condition in which a person consistently shows no regard for right and wrong and ignores the rights and feelings of others. People with antisocial personality disorder tend to antagonize, manipulate or treat others harshly or with callous indifference. They show no guilt or remorse for their behavior.

Individuals with antisocial personality disorder often violate the law, becoming criminals. They may lie, behave violently or impulsively, and have problems with drug and alcohol use. Because of these characteristics, people with this disorder typically can’t fulfill responsibilities related to family, work or school."

Maybe delete this whole thing. You made a mistake.

No, that was Psychology today, meant for lay people. See my post below for more.

So, illegal immigrants.

I didn’t mean that specific list. I should have clarified that better.

If I’m not mistaking you describing libs

2 Likes

Society. That’s a definition developed by society.

IMO a society without empathy.

Tbh, I don’t think Rand wad a sociopath. That entire philosophy is the inner world of a social reject with an inferiority complex manifested into literature.

1 Like

Yes, she did. “Society” is supreme. It holds all the cards and makes subjects of us all. That is no reason to support it.

Have you ever noticed how only the successful are supposed to have empathy? Where is the illegals’ empathy for us?

Do you pay taxes?

Yes. Prison is worse.

…yeah…he sure avoids people and crowds.

Is the argument individualism is really sociopathy? Because it isn’t. Really, sociopaths could be for either.

What’s the difference?