Are we already living in a authoritarian state

It’s been the real important fight playing in the back getting less attention than D vs R. Libertarian vs authoritarian.

That is pretty disappointing to hear from Ai Wei Wei.

He actually went to prison.

It seems like he should know what the distinction is.

Well. Reading this thread…… it is getting kinda wild.

Peace everyone

But have you actually complied with a single one of those directives, in whatever way or form it was “told” to you?

I haven’t done a single one of those things and the worst thing that’s happened to me as a result is to have listen to people who either (1) constantly complain about being told to do them or (2) constantly complain that not enough people are doing them.

Not exactly an authoritarian hell-scape, but more like a battle of karens.

Yeah, it doesn’t have nearly the Body Count of the Great Leap, but it was bad. And to compare it to America today is just ridiculous.

The reality is that beurecrats love power and love telling others what to do. The sad part is that there are people who believe they exert this power because they care about us.

6 Likes

Yes, finally!

1 Like

No it isn’t.

It has become pervasive and has full censorship support with electronic media.

1 Like

i know youre not this naive

“Revolution”? Really?:rofl:. I’m supposed to believe the same people that pitch a fit at every single inconvenience are gonna put together some kind of organized armed campaign? Got news for ya: that kind of thing is nothing but one prolonged inconvenience.

Why?

Perhaps he does and you are the one missing the mark.

2 Likes

Let’s look at facts.

1. Mask mandates already have been rescinded. So I guess we don’t have to worry about that being permanent.
  2. I can leave my home we he never I want today so I’m not forced to stay in my home.
  3. I just travelled by plane and nobody asked me for papers other than ticket and ID.
  4. I eat out all the time and have never shown papers.
  5. I haven’t been forced to vax

Seems like we are safe from this nation you imagine we are in.

Upon reflection maybe Ai Weiwei is correct about some elements of the cultural revolution but wrong about which direction it is coming from.

A crowdfunded stasi to harass teachers by using a poorly written law.

As far as I can see the “woke” mob has not been able to utilize the power of the State and enforcement of the State to apply their narrow values but the same is not true for the reactionary movement against it.

1 Like

The hallmarks of authoritarian states are unchecked executive authority by fiat, suppression of free speech and use of the police powers of the state to punish political opponents and suppress dissent.

We have reached what the military calls a decision point in the ever raging conflict between freedom and oppression. The pandemic, combined with the policies and enforcement efforts of the current administration, has cast a bright light on the authoritarian elements among our society.

The most telling example, which is playing out in real time, is the attempt to declare parents as enemies of the state and target them with federal law enforcement and intelligence assets for using their right to assemble, to speak out in protest and engage in oversight of local school boards and education policy. And what have we learned, and seen, to date? We learned the pervasiveness of top down efforts to teach our children to be racists and to abide by speech codes, to replace parents as the central influence in molding their children’s values and to usurp parental decision making and the power to oversee local school policies and educational content. And when it became obvious that parents across the country, across all groups, were not going to stand for this, what happened? A coordinated effort between progressive controlled local school boards, progressive school administrators, the national teacher’s union leadership, the leadership of the national school board association, Democratic state and local politicians, the Biden Administration White House political staff and the DOJ to mobilize federal law enforcement and intelligence power against these parents for daring to speak out.

And this isn’t through playing out. This issue is the gasoline poured on the pile of other issues of dispute between the unchecked central authority elements of our society and the traditional viewpoint of limited federal authority. Terry McAuliffe’s supreme error in the debate and the AG’s memo ignited the pile. And we have all seen the initial results and the full panic in the progressive press, and the fire is still burning. But the current AG has not rescinded his directive to mobilize the national security elements of the federal government and there are plenty of inner city progressives ready to threaten, or actually use force.

So we will all have to wait and see, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst to show up in your neighborhood.

4 Likes

So if I vote for Republicans will we get those four Dr Seuss books back?

You quoted all that, in the very next post, for that. Tsk, tsk.

1 Like

a pandemic thats never going away.

3 Likes

Go ahead and mock all you want. The AG memo is real, the panic among progressives is real, the anger among parents is real and the point of political conflict is real. And you just might want to read Clausewitz’s, “On War,” and how armed conflict is just politics by other means.

4 Likes

The anger among the parents has been fueled by a falsehood that CRT is being taught in schools.

There is also anger at mask mandates… and this is the most frustrating part. Those people are pretending that they are the only one’s who hate wearing masks. No one likes wearing masks. But the thing is that in a pandemic of a respiratory disease… covering your face holes helps to slow the spread of the disease.

They may also be upset about vaccine mandates… but this is a newfound concern since all of the other vaccine mandates have been cool.

There is only one person here who is talking about taking up arms for a violent resolution to these arguments… which is kind of wild that that would be allowed on this board… but… here we are.

1 Like