Are The DEMs In 2020 Repeating The 2016 GOP Mistake

I’m saying electabilty enters the equation when selecting a candidate. It’s not the only consideration and different people weigh it differently.

It only enters the equation when people are making a case against more left wing candidates.

1 Like

They are repeating the same mistakes but not about the field size. They are doubling down on identity politics, open borders, and labeling everyone they disagree with racist. It’s as if they went to a college and took a class on intersectionality and political correctness 101 and are running with it for 2020.

They will get their base very excited in the same states they always win with little luck elsewhere were the country wants jobs not to be lectured about their privilege.

As for the OP, I don’t believe too much choice is a problem. It wasn’t as if Trump gradually emerged as a front runner after months of debate. He was leading basically from the beginning. The problem was a Republican base that tossed it’s supposed principles out of the window to embrace an old Twitter troll. Trump himself isn’t some hardline conservative. He believes in whatever he thinks is beneficial to him at the present time and going forward.

The Democrats aren’t going to nominate an unapologetic ******* because we expect a little more from our leaders. They may nominate someone more to the left than usual…and why not? Progressive ideas are actually rather popular according to most polls. People are tired of struggling while an ever increasing share of the economic pie goes to a few people at the top. We’ve tried the conservative plans and we’ve tried the moderate plans. How about we make an attempt at a new way and see how it works? The rich and powerful are terrified at the thought because they know it means a loosening of their stranglehold over our country and it’s people.

2 Likes

That’s only what most colleges are like if you listen to right-wing youtube.

Who are these “extreme” candidates that the Democrats should be avoiding?

You are 100% right. From day-1 of the primaries, Trump was assumed to be unelectable. And the lib side of the general campaign thought their party would win in a slam-dunk.

I voted 3rd party because of those things that should have made Trump unelectable. I just couldn’t punch his chad.

The ‘electability’ factor (as declared by political junkies and ‘experts’) is almost worthless nowadays. The campaign arena is a whole new playing field now. ‘Experts’ need to figure out new models to rely on.

Yup. If I recall correctly, one of the Clinton campaign’s leaked emails spoke about how they hoped Trump won the Rep primary, because they thought that would mean a guaranteed election win for Clinton.

Why anyone cares what these “experts” say is beyond me.

The fact that Clinton and Trump were both cartoonishly bad was a perfectly valid reason as to why I didn’t vote for either.

:joy:
.^^^^

Agreed.

.^
And this post does the same thing. Just because someone disagrees with building a sea-to-shining-sea wall across the sourthern border does not mean they are for “open borders”.

You are doing the same thing that the DEMs do with broad-brushing. Remember improved border security does not mean building expensive and inefficient walls in the middle of the desert. It can also include military grade surveillance and going after WHY they come here which is businesses hiring illegals for cheap labor.
.^^^^^

Clinton definitely had a lot of issues and wasn’t terribly inspiring.

Can we count on the “both sides” brigade to return in 2020 if the main flaw of the Democrat candidate is that they are somewhat to the left of normal? No real personal scandal to speak of. No history of blatant lying.

Will we be back to hearing about why “X” is “just as bad” as Donald Trump?

Oh, that’s a guarantee.

Is Elizabeth Warren just as bad as Donald Trump? Is Bernie Sanders? Kamala Harris? Biden? O’Rourke?

Anyone who believes so either isn’t paying attention to what is going on or is beyond help. In either case, I’m not sure what the Democrats can do to reach out to people like that or if they should necessarily try.