Are teachers' unions the main source of "systemic racism"?

How do you “defund” that?

Because its one of the areas where its most overt.

Why do they fail?

Like where?

Administrators can be members of the unions.

What happened to the steel industry?

Mostly because of massive fraud…at least in Indiana.

Florida too, IIRC.

Most common fraud is counting heads the schools don’t actually have…a consequence of tax dollars not going to the parents to pay the schools but being sent to the schools directly.

Right to work.

Interesting. Should be easy enough to fix.

“Exists”

That doesn’t seem like it would be very effective based on the fact that teacher’s unions still exist in the states with Right to Work laws.

It breaks up the monopoly and therefore the control.

It may be easier to produce good & better teachers without the protection of tenure and unions and their work should be based on performance and/or dedication.

I had both a parochial & public school K-12 education and I can attest to the fact that the devoted to their calling Catholic nuns were better educators then most of my public school teachers.

Kids aren’t born inherently different. The change has been in their upbringing. Broken homes. Parents who take no interest in their child’s education or development. Parents who want to blame teachers and “the system” for their child’s behavioral and achievement issues.

(I believe) the solution is “fixing” the parents and the child’s home environment. I have ideas but no great answers as to how that is actually done. It has very little to nothing to do with schools, teachers or unions however.

Has it in Right to Work states?

Not so. They are not the blank slates we once thought.

With teachers? I don’t know. With other industries some.

That’s nice. People like that are few and far between…especially since there are more lucrative ways to make a living other than being a teacher.

Democrats certainly supported slavery, Jim Crow segregation, and federally funded housing and GI education bills that discriminated against people on the basis of race.

Democrat-run school systems that are dominated by teachers’ unions continue to stack the deck against poor kids, especially in big cities. The teachers’ unions are not explicitly racist, but working to kill school choice arguably perpetuates the results of racist policies from several decades ago.

In Gary, the entire city benefited from the steel mills, In the mid and late 70s and into the 80s, dumping of foreign steel, the steel companies, trying to break the steel unions, and automation caused the majority of what used to be a city full of steel workers, to all of a sudden be out of work. Mills closed down, or reduced workforce, because they could put out more steel with fewer workers.

Thus, nearly half the population was out of work. Steel workers made good money…and when it was taken away…it led to a welfare city like you have never seen. There was never enough jobs to replace those that were lost…then the businesses all up and down Broadway Blvd…the main road from South Lake County to the Steel Mills themselves started to fail. By the time I was in HighSchool Gary was a drug town run by street gangs. By the time I got out of college, there was virtually nothing left. It had nothing to do with who was Mayor…it was all economic.

My Grandpa, my dad, my dads uncles and cousins all grew up in the mills…put themselves through college working in the mills. By the time I was old enough, I could not get a job in the mills if my life depended on it.